How Do I Stop Him?

My 16 month old has started biting. He will grab atiny peice of skin and pull back. It hurts. A lot. He thinks it is funny when people do any kind of reaction. He also thinks it is funny if you tell him no. I realize he doesn't do it to be mean, I just would like to not be worried that he is going to bite me everytime I pick him up. Anything I can do?

Bugbait

Asked by Bugbait at 1:38 PM on Sep. 7, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My doctor told me to bit them back lightly. They don't like it & honestly if you do it right, it really doesn't hurt. But they understand than that biting causes pain.

It work on my little guy, although I felt like a crappy mom when I had to do it to him.

I also used soap...
    lilmoosesmom

Answer by lilmoosesmom at 1:39 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• Show him it hurts. Bite him back. Not hard. Or when he does it sit him down and ignore him for 1min. Its time out. And hopefully he will start to understand. My son is 15mths and I tried the time out it didnt work I had to nip him.
    mama2zack

Answer by mama2zack at 1:40 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• bite him back? heh, idk.. my 17mo does it do my 3yo dd and sometimes to me or dh too, he's gotten better though, i really think it was just a teething thing and now that he's almost got all his teeth in he hasn't done it as much. Good luck though i know how you feel!
    DreainCO

Answer by DreainCO at 1:40 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• Yes, I know this sounds mean but, my daughter use to bite at that age also, and I just bit her back one day and it broke her and do it real hard , See what happens Good Luck
    Winerygirl

Answer by Winerygirl at 1:41 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• NEVER BITE YOUR KID BACK!!! Ugh.. Anyways to answer the question you are supposed to stop them immediately so that they know what they did and tell them in a stern voice NO BITING and then tell them our mouths/teeth are for eating and talking and it hurts when you bite! And also your suppsed to tell them something they CAN do instead of always what they CANT do. If the behavior doesnt stop and you have to do that more than twice then you try a short time out so they know it was wrong and they will be punished
    ladybugky88

Answer by ladybugky88 at 1:43 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• When my son was a toddler..he was a biter too. He even bit kids at his daycare and caused bruising and sometimes he would draw blood! For me...the only thing that worked with him was to give him a binky. I attached it to his shirt and every time he would go to bite, I would run to him, stop him before he did it and stick the binky in his mouth and told him to bite on that. It may not have been the best solution in the eyes of some...but for us, it really worked. It was like he just had this need to bite on something. Eventually he stopped biting and would stick the binky in his mouth instead. Finally by the age of 2 1/2, I felt he was ready to understand the biting was truly not okay and it hurt people. We weaned him from the binky. Never had a problem since.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 1:45 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• I did what Ladybug suggests.. It seemed to be a short phase for my son.. here's hope for yours to be too!!~
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 1:45 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• you can try biting back or if that freaks you out then tap him on the mouth with your index finger and say no biting while looking him in the eye
    elizabiza

Answer by elizabiza at 1:50 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• Tap his mouth,look him in the eye and say No Biting in a stern voice. Let him know biting hurts and give him a time out.
    soccerfanatic14

Answer by soccerfanatic14 at 1:57 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• Bite him back. Sounds mean but it really works. He dosent know it hurts, thats why he does it and thinks its funny. Biting him back will show him how it feels.
    Rosesandlilys

Answer by Rosesandlilys at 2:13 PM on Sep. 7, 2010