Possible relocate to Columus, Oh

We may be moving this Jan. to Columbus Ohio and I don't know a thing about it. The house taxes seem pretty steep compared to here. I've driven thru there many times and love the State but not sure about anything else. Any moms living there that could give me the 101?

Lisa1167

Asked by Lisa1167 at 1:40 PM on Sep. 7, 2010 in Money & Work

• My DH is from Ohio and we lived there for 6 yrs before moving to GA almost 2 yrs ago. (I'm from AL) The property taxes are high, but everything else is low, including grocery taxes, car tags, fees for licenses, etc. The medical field is outstanding in Ohio. The schools are generally really great, although I'm sure there are exceptions. Upper Arlington, Hilliard and Dublin all had good schools and nice housing when we were there. Definitely do some research on it, though, as it could have changed drastically since then. Of course, being in Columbus, you will have to become an Ohio State Buckeye. They may run you out, otherwise. Buckeye fans are crazy. LOL
    Are you used to snow? you will definitely experience snow there, but it's nice snow, not lake effect snow like in Cleveland. I really liked Ohio, and obviously am partial to Ohio men. lol Good luck, mama!
    JawgaMom1

Answer by JawgaMom1 at 1:49 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• My sister lived there for a few years. We are from Toledo, and we both live in Toledo now. It is very crowded. It has many nice attributes, but get used to crazy traffic and plan ahead. My nephew attended Worthington preschool. That is a suburb of Columbus. It is very very nice there. Good luck to you.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 1:50 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• I live in Columbus. There are certain areas that have really high taxes and others that dont. I can help you if you tell me where the person who is working will work. Certain areas have better schools than others. I live in the suburbs and pay lower taxes have great schools but I commute further becayse I work downtown. Feel free to PM and I can give you tons of useful information.
    navyjen

Answer by navyjen at 4:06 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• I live in Ohio. But not Columbus. I belong to an Ohio Moms group here on CM. You might want to check it out.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 4:08 PM on Sep. 7, 2010