Why Is He Not Eating?

My son usaually is a good eater, but lately he won't eat his lunch. He eats a good breakfast and agood dinner. Why won't he eat his lunch? Is there something I could do or feed him that might help him eat? Is it a stage?

Bugbait

Asked by Bugbait at 1:42 PM on Sep. 7, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• if he isn't hungry then he won't eat, don't stress kids are much better at listening to their bodies than we are
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 1:43 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• Don't worry so much..if he eats anything at all, he will not starve. Maybe it's his molars coming in..maybe he isn't having a growth spurt right now. Any reason. Remember, he is small and so is his stomach, they really don't need much food and between his breakfast and dinner, he may get all his caloric needs met.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 1:44 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• Maybe he's not hungry. As long as he's eating two good meals a day, I wouldn't worry. My 3-year-old doesn't eat dinner some nights because he has already eaten enough at breakfast and lunch and isn't hungry.
    andrea96

Answer by andrea96 at 1:45 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• Kids are good at know when they need to eat or not. Sounds like he just loves to eat in the morning and the night. It is something us as adults loose because we are taught you have to eat even when you are not. If he is not hungry or not wanting to eat. Don't worry about it. They will go through different spurts of wanting to eat constantly(when close to growth spurt) and not wanting to eat much at all.
    Raeann11

Answer by Raeann11 at 1:45 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• kids don't tend to over eat like we as adults do! he won't starve himself.. just offer healthy meals and snacks and do your best !!
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 1:46 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• Unless he is DANGEROUSLY thin and has problems gaining weight, do not stress over him not eating. He may just be between growth spurts so his caloric need is down. Don't worry, mama. He'll be back to his old self as soon as the new growth spurt kicks in. :)
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 1:46 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• Don't worry. He is eating a good breakfast and dinner and is getting the calories in two meals instead of three. He is listening to his body and doesn't need the lunch meal
    soccerfanatic14

Answer by soccerfanatic14 at 1:51 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• Hes not hungry : ) Sometimes my son skips lunch, try just giving him something healthy to drink like a smoothie if he wont eat at lunch time.
    Rosesandlilys

Answer by Rosesandlilys at 2:18 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• Could he be teething? Dont force eating just offer something else a little later! Thats what I do when my toddler refuses to eat. She is currently cutting 4 molars though so its been pick and choose for the last several days.
    navyjen

Answer by navyjen at 4:04 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• Kids his age don't have to eat a lot. My son goes through spurts where he simply doesnt want to eat much and when he is over it, he eats just fine. Don't worry!!
    asalynsedai

Answer by asalynsedai at 2:05 PM on Sep. 8, 2010