Is this a lie through omission?

If the subject never came up to lie about in the first place?

I always thought it was: If the person is asked directly and leaves that part out?

Confused

Zoeyis

Asked by Zoeyis at 2:00 PM on Sep. 7, 2010 in Relationships

• There are some things that I just don't want to know... for example, I don't want to know if my husband thinks that another woman is attractive... I don't want to know if he is having sex dreams about his ex... I don't want to know so I don't ask and I really rather he not tell me those kind of things. I've told him as much too.
    elizabiza

Answer by elizabiza at 2:16 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• I think its a lie although alot of men probably wouldnt agree.
    okmommy08

Answer by okmommy08 at 2:02 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• If the person thinks, "Thank God they didn't ask." then it's a lie. Basically if there's something you don't want the other person to know about, and you intentionally keep it from them, then it counts as a lie. If it's nothing particularly important and it just doesn't come up, then no it's not. It all depends on the intentions, KWIM?
    JerbysMom

Answer by JerbysMom at 2:07 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• There is still a lie there.. you are living a "fake" happiness if he is keeping things from you. Even if it is something small.. it should be shared..IMO
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 2:09 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• Never ask something if you know you can't handle the answer.To me, a lie is when someone does not tell the truth to a direct question. If you don't ask the right question you won't get the answer your looking for anyway. I don't find withholding information to be lying, it's just discretion.

isabellalecour

Answer by isabellalecour at 4:16 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• If your partner has done something that you would not approve of.. and purposely doesn't tell you.. then yes, it's a lie.
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 2:00 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• sometimes its not really something that bad or it isn't hurting anything. Ignorance sometimes can be bliss.
    he is an adult, I cant tell him what he can or can't do (as long as its legal).

I may not approve of certain things, but if he chooses to do them anyway, I really can't do much about it, can I? Isn't that controlling of me to expect him to stop when I tell him too? I'm not his mother.
    Zoeyis

Comment by Zoeyis (original poster) at 2:04 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• You are his partner though, correct? There shouldn't be any lies.. or omissions between you two! If he knows that you wouldn't like what he is doing, and he doesn't tell you.. he meant to not tell you.
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 2:06 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• ---sometimes its not really something that bad or it isn't hurting anything. Ignorance sometimes can be bliss.---
    meaning, if I never knew about it to the end of my days we'd still have lived a happy life together loving each other and watching our kids grow up...not talking adultery or drugs or anything like that. Its causing him to neglect the family or his job or anything.
    Zoeyis

Comment by Zoeyis (original poster) at 2:07 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• @supermom... true, but why would any human being knowingly put themselves in harm's way if they know nothing good can come from it? I think self preservation is a natural instinct. And what he's doing is more out of my own personal dislike for something, not because its hurting anyone overall.
    Zoeyis

Comment by Zoeyis (original poster) at 2:08 PM on Sep. 7, 2010