What do you do if you have a friend you know is unhappy in their marriage?

And you might be the ONLY person on the planet that can help them? Do nothing and let them work it out? Help them? How?

Rosesandlilys

Asked by Rosesandlilys at 2:00 PM on Sep. 7, 2010 in Relationships

• Why, if it's a man, should he be forced to make his marriage work? I think more than anything he needs to hear it's okay to make the decision he realy wants to make, whatever that is. He shouldn't feel trapped, that'll only make things worse down the road.
    abstractmommy

Answer by abstractmommy at 2:47 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• Sounds like you are a good friend.& isn't it funny how we always assume it's a women?If I were you,just still be the friend that you are being and if he decides to leave her,well,just keep doin what you are doin. Be there for him That is what friends do.
    bvannkissy

Answer by bvannkissy at 2:48 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• You may tell her your opinion, that she deserves better, that you are worry about her, etc but in the end if she do not want to leave the harmful relationship just be there for her when she needs a good friend.
    Alisim

Answer by Alisim at 2:02 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• It depends on why they are unhappy with the marriage.
    Mostly..I just listen to my friends and offer hugs where needed. Advice if I have any.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 2:02 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• Depends on why she is unhappy? I would just tell her how you feel and if she chooses to listen then great if not at least she knows you care enough to try and help and she has someone to talk to and cry on if need be.
    JacobsMommy05

Answer by JacobsMommy05 at 2:05 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• I agree with both moms above.. Sometimes the best thing to do is just listen give advice and a hug...Just be there for her.
    MzGeorgiaPeach

Answer by MzGeorgiaPeach at 2:06 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• Let me clarify something ladies my apologies. This is not a female friend of mine, this is a male friend. Thanks for all the answers so far.
    Rosesandlilys

Comment by Rosesandlilys (original poster) at 2:09 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• with a guy friend I would leave it alone...
    elizabiza

Answer by elizabiza at 2:11 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• I would STAY OUT of it. Just be there and listen. If you get involved and tey get back together and work it out, it may end your friendship.
    AdrianaS

Answer by AdrianaS at 2:13 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• I would stay out of it, except to say that happiness is a choice, and marriage is much more about what we give than what we get. So I would suggest to him that he should choose to give more and he should also choose to be happy with the wife that he chose. Tell him that women need to be nurtured emotionally if they are to be loving wives, and that if he will put more effort into that, he will likely see very positive results. Then exit stage left!!!!!
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 2:18 PM on Sep. 7, 2010