''your son called me the F-word.''

so, there's a little girl(6-7ish yo) on our street that we have been 'warned' about by other neighbors that have children. we've been told she's a trouble-maker, and has very detached parents (meaning, she's allowed to run wild, all hours) and has been known to 'show up' on people's doorsteps asking for food or to come inside, even the neighbor's who have no children. apparently, her parents aren't home, or no one minds her business. idk..
my first encounter with her was yesterday, when she told me this. my son(5yo) doesn't even know what the F-word is..truly! (a few other words, i'd believe he'd know..just keeping it real.) of course, i asked my ds what she meant, and he said he didn't know, that he didn't call her anything.

they've never played together, as she lives several houses away, and frankly, i'd never seen her upclose til yesterday. what would you do with this? wait and see?

dullscissors

Asked by dullscissors at 2:01 PM on Sep. 7, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• i would tell him to try not to hang out with her... don't be mean to her but don't seek her out to play with her either
    elizabiza

Answer by elizabiza at 2:09 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• I would wait and see. Don't just presume that she's lying because she's got a reputation.

I would also report to social services if it's that bad. No child should have to live like that.
    leah_rai

Answer by leah_rai at 2:02 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• I really think you need to get that little girl some help....maybe give her a chance at a better future
    AmericanaQueen

Answer by AmericanaQueen at 2:09 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• I would just say "What did you call him?" Leave it at that. She probably just made it up to get some "adult" attention.
    AdrianaS

Answer by AdrianaS at 2:04 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• It honestly depends. Given what you said I don't think the parents would do much of anything, but I need to point out that not all kids will do something like this because the parents suck. My then 7 year old overheard me talking with my mom about our bad neighbor, and the next time he saw this neighbor he flipped him off. The neighbor came over to tell me what happened and you better believe I handled that situation. He was grounded to his room and made to apologize. Never did it again.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 2:05 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• I would let it slide. I would be more worried about the little girls safety and her parents not being home and she isnt being attended. If you see her out late at night or know for a fact her parents arent home call dhs.
    okmommy08

Answer by okmommy08 at 2:04 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• well in this case I would believe your son, but tell the girl that you were sorry if your son called her that but he said he didn't and you believe him, she is probably just looking for someone to pay attention to her
    Liz132

Answer by Liz132 at 2:07 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• I would not do anything. A child told you this. Not an adult. I would say thank you for informing me. and I would shut the door. The only thing I would say to my sun is you better not have called her a bad word.

Answer by louise2 at 2:16 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• I would address the issue as it is. No matter who said it, sternly tell her that it is a word that is to never be used in your house or she can leave. I would just let her know that you are not a push over, YOUR NOT! lol but give it to her straight. Then you can wait for a response from her and handle it more kindly from there. Ive been there when I do not accept a certain behavior and I address it before kids come in the front door, yes, in front of parents, or they do not come in and play. Certain behaviors i do not want around my kids, ya know.
    2tinyhineys

Answer by 2tinyhineys at 2:23 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• I agree. Everyone on the neighborhood should watch out for that child's best interest. If her parents are letting her run around the street unsupervised, call the cops and state there is a 7 yr who looks like she's by herself. And let the cops pick her up and ask where her parents are and they can take her home, knock on the front door and if no one is home...it will all take it's course.

I feel bad for the kid. Sad. Good for you though. Keep your son away for the time being and see how it all progresses.
    Denise2000

Answer by Denise2000 at 2:24 PM on Sep. 7, 2010