Are you experiencing Cash for Clunkers Remorse?

Thousands of people who leased cars last year as part of the Cash for Clunkers program are having second thoughts and are trying to get out of their leases, reports LeaseTrader.com. …
“They woke up last year and saw the Cash for Clunkers program and thought they they could help the environment and the bunnies and the trees and got smaller, environmentally-friendly cars,” Sternal says. “Now they look at that car and think about the really nice car they used to have and think ‘I want something roomier, more luxurious. This contract is bad and I’m not in love.’”

grlygrlz2

Asked by grlygrlz2 at 2:05 PM on Sep. 7, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I didn't participate in Cash for Clunkers so I don't have remorse. If I had and I did it would fall under the category of TOO BAD and would be my own fault. This being said, it was a stupid program and I am not surprised it has been such a dismal failure.

I have had very good luck leasing vehicles. The only reason I am not leasing now is that I got 0% financing.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 4:51 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• Lots of people experience buyers remorse, but I really wouldn't find that news worthy. It sounds like the news must be very slow today!! LOL!!
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 2:06 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• I thought that program was just to get more poeple to buy cars, I didn't have a clue it had anything to do with the environment, I thought a " clunker" was an old pos car " not a luxurious car"
    Liz132

Answer by Liz132 at 2:15 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• Anything's better than the mosque, food stamps, or gay marriage again.

Nope, I wasn't dumb enough to buy into that program. It's not eco friendly if it sends a perfectly good car to a landfill.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 2:16 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• Never lease, you LOSE in the long run.
    AdrianaS

Answer by AdrianaS at 2:07 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• No. I didn't participate in that program.
    DEpley

Answer by DEpley at 2:21 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• Nope. I wasn't silly enough to actually think I was getting a good deal or bargain through this program.

If people were. And they are now suffering from "buyer's remorse" that's on them. That is their own doing. No one was forced to trade in cars and sign leases or buy a new one (which of course was not bought out right, it was financed). If people chose to do that out of their own greed and desire because they thought they were getting a good deal, then they just get to live with it.

The next big auto push and incentive programs will be rolling out real soon (those that are manufacturer sponsered). And many more people will line up to sign on the dotted line to try and get a "deal" through these programs. And most, will turn around after a period of time and realize that they screwed themselves over yet again, by buying something they really didn't want, or really couldn't afford.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 2:25 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• Nobody MADE them lease smaller, more environmentally friendly cars, so if they experience remorse, that's all on them...
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 2:09 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• Wow I guess they were really dumb for not thinking it thru. I guess the upside is when these companies roll out their "pull ahead" programs, there will be another car sale boom. Thats great news for everyone who's jobs are tied to the auto industry. Yay for dumb people! :D
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 2:09 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• And I wouldn't say "NEVER lease". There are times when it makes perfect sense to lease. We have leased, done auto loans, and bought with straight out cash. So for me... I would say lease or pay cash - never a loan, (to avoid being "upside down" in a loan when the car starts needing repairs) but its different for each person's financial situation.
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 2:12 PM on Sep. 7, 2010