Anyone else?

My daughter has been sleeping through the night for about 5 months now. She is now 10 months old and just this past week has started waking up for a 3 am feeding. I have tried letting her cry it out but she screams this really shrill scream and wakes the rest of the house up. So that wont work. And I hate to be giving in and giving her a bottle because the doctor wants me to work on weaning her off of the bottle. Any suggestions? Ideas on why she could be doing this?

tiffers32788

Asked by tiffers32788 at 12:23 AM on Oct. 14, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• your doctor is retarded. first off, i wouldn't wean my kid off unill at least 12 months. and that's what i'm going through with my son. feed her if she's hungry. and rock her if she wants it. she wakes up and realizes she's alone and just wants comfort. this too, is what i'm going through with my son. your her mother, act like it.
    sarapurser

Answer by sarapurser at 12:33 AM on Oct. 14, 2008

• my son did this,. and is still doing it.he is only 7months but has been doing it for 3 months we have tried EVERYTHING. we talked to our dr. thinking maybe we should feed him more or keep him up later, but she said babies can go through this, she will grow out of it eventually, just go in give her her bink, if she has one and walk out... if she needs a bottle, give her some water, formula is bad for her teeth...
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 12:35 AM on Oct. 14, 2008

• She is probably going through a growth spurt - physical or mental. If so, this will pass.
    Ignore the doctor. Just smile and nod when he tells you to wean her off the bottle. It won't hurt her. Over the next few months, switch her to water in the bottle and then you won't have to worry about bottle rot for her teeth. After that, you can drop the bottles or let her have them until she tells you she doesn't want them anymore - your choice.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:41 AM on Oct. 14, 2008

• growth spurt! I totally believe in feed on their schedule, not yours! especially when they are little. If you are worried about the bottle itself, try transitioning her to sippy cups during the day and then once she is fully on those, if she is still waking at night, you could just give her one of those.

I had the best luck with the Nuby soft silicon spout cups for that first part of transition.
    flutterfae

Answer by flutterfae at 1:14 AM on Oct. 14, 2008

• Growth spurt. I agree with the other posters. My kids did it too. Good luck.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 1:21 AM on Oct. 14, 2008

• Letting a baby 'cry it out' might not be a good idea in every case. It could be true that your baby is going through a growth spurt. While solid food can complement breast or formula milk after 6 months, it doesn't mean that the baby can go without milk. Formula or breast milk is extremely essential atleast until the baby's first birthday. If she is fussing for milk, just go ahead and feed her. This will not spoil her.

It is also possible that the baby is not getting enough during the day. Some babies use the night time to catch up on the calories. Try to start another solid food feeding near bedtime, or increase the amount of milk given before sleep. This might help.

As an added note, if you or your doctor is concerned about giving a bottle, try using sippy cups. At 10 months, the baby should be able to take on sippy cups without much trouble. It is NOT wise to stop milk at all, breast or formula.

sue_gir

Answer by sue_gir at 1:55 AM on Oct. 14, 2008

• When it comes to taking her off of the bottle, it is 100% your decision of when that will be. As for your daughter waking up in the middle of the night, I would say give her what she needs. She knows what her body needs.
    ACPotter88

Answer by ACPotter88 at 2:01 AM on Oct. 14, 2008

• I thought the standard across the board for dropping the bottle was 12 months... hmmm. I would ask doc why he wants her off so soon. Yes i agree with other posters it sounds like a growth spurt
    humaniterian87

Answer by humaniterian87 at 2:56 AM on Oct. 14, 2008

• My son was off of bottles at 8 months old but every child is differnet you know you child better than a doctor does at that stuff it is you child. But if you agree with the doctor and want to get her off bottles do it. For my son what I did was I took a weekend and just let him cry himself back to sleep and not give in. let everyone know that its important that you do it and hopefully it only takes a few days. But once you do it and not give in dont go back to giveing him the bottle because she will get confused and all that work that you did do would be for nothing. Your child may being going threw a growth spurt but she might also be teathing try the teathing tablets they work wonders and you dont have to worry about how much you give her cause they are all natural.
    kaylie_08

Answer by kaylie_08 at 8:51 AM on Oct. 14, 2008

• Is she teething? My son and 2nd daughter have slept through the night's wonderfully and started waking up when teething started. Could be the culprit.
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 12:53 PM on Oct. 14, 2008