draining my arm......

((YIKES)) i have an infection in my armpit. and i have to get it drained tomorrow. i am beyond nervous.the only time i have ever had to be in the hospital was when i had my son. on to my question... does anyone know how they will drain it?? it started leaking lastnight but when i went to the dr. she couldnt get any more out. Will she cut it open or just pinch it?? i am so scared. will she numb my arm?

BabyBugsmama

Asked by BabyBugsmama at 12:29 AM on Oct. 14, 2008 in Health

• they will incise the wound. drain all the infection out pack it with sterile gauze and you will probably have to have it looked every other day or so for a re-cleaning and re-packing. they numb the area so don't worry.. you probably have a harmless staph infection.. they will probably do a culture to confirm it. don't worry we do this all the time in our office... you'll be just fine
    VictinaG

Answer by VictinaG at 12:34 AM on Oct. 14, 2008

• you may also be put on antibiotics, and they will more than likely give you pain killers
    VictinaG

Answer by VictinaG at 12:35 AM on Oct. 14, 2008

• Depending how bad and where exactly in the arm pit it's infected, the Dr may use a needle syringe to drain it, or cut it open to drain it. You WILL be properly numbed up for this so try not to be nervous. And if you still are TELL the Dr or nurse, as they would rather give you something to help you stay calm, rather than have you fidgety and nervous. Good luck

vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 1:44 AM on Oct. 14, 2008