how much does taking aintibiotics effect birth control?

I know it decreases the effect of BC but by how much?

Shannon706

Asked by Shannon706 at 2:23 PM on Sep. 7, 2010 in Health

• It decreases it enough to let you ovulate which in turn makes you be able to get pregnant. If you're taking antibiotics ALWAYS use a back up method of birth control.
    colethky

Answer by colethky at 2:25 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• Enough that lots of women get pregnant. I have had a few friends get pregnant that way. That is why they say you should use back up when you are on antibiotics.
    Raeann11

Answer by Raeann11 at 2:25 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• I know a lot of ppl that have gotten pregnant while using antibiotics.....I would just use backup for about a month. lol.
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 2:26 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• If it's the "Pill".. Antibiotics cancels it out. It is no longer an affective form of birth control while taking antibiotics and a back up form of BC should be used.

As for other forms I have no experience with them.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 2:27 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• I have a friend who got pregnant while on birth control b/c she was taking an antibiotic
    haydenkmomma

Answer by haydenkmomma at 2:34 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• 7 years ago, my doctor said it did not have any affect. My almost 7 year old disproved that. If you are on BC and antibiotics, I strongly recommend a back up form of BC!
    Courtney610

Answer by Courtney610 at 2:36 PM on Sep. 7, 2010