Tips on Selling A House?

We are getting ready to sell and I need all the help that I can get. I am in the process of trying to depersonalize the kids rooms and get everything ready. So I was thinking a ton of your Mom have bought and sold houses so what are some things that you look for when you are buying a new house. What is appealing to you? What would totally turn you off? Help me please.

Melbornj

Asked by Melbornj at 2:42 PM on Sep. 7, 2010 in Home & Garden

• Declutter and take down personal pictures (as you're doing). Clean, clean, clean! I would also spruce up the curb appeal. Paint the mailbox, paint the deck/porch, plant flowers, mow grass, sweep the drive. Some inside cheap and easy facelifts are: replace the hardware on your cubboards and wipe down with Murphy's oil, paint the rooms soft/neutral colors, shampoo carpets, new shower curtain, move furniture to appear open and inviting, and new light fixtures if yours are outdated.
    kenzie07

Answer by kenzie07 at 2:51 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• Less in the room is better too. Take down all personal pictures, bake cookies they say, Make sure you closets and cupboards are clean(people open then to see the inside) That is some things I can think of. That my family members I know have sold recently.
    Raeann11

Answer by Raeann11 at 2:46 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• **cupboards

I'm addicted to the home shows! Sell This House, Divine Design, House Hunters, Curb Apeal, etc!
    kenzie07

Answer by kenzie07 at 2:53 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• We packed up all personal items and knick knacks that might make the space seem smaller and cluttered. Cleaned out closets and pack up what you don't need so the closets seem really big. We put several pieces of furniture in storage so the rooms looked bigger. We painted a couple rooms that needed to be freshened up. We sold our home in less than 20 days.  I usually baked some cookies so the house smelled really good and left a plate for the potential buyers on the counter. 

momtolucas2002

Answer by momtolucas2002 at 2:53 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• De-clutter (not just what you see at first glance but inside cabinets and closets as well), de-personalize, neutralize the decor (no bold paint color on the walls). Clean, clean, clean ... make sure everything is meticulous and in working order.

FootballMom85

Answer by FootballMom85 at 3:16 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• Removing clutter is key - it makes the rooms look larger. Fresh paint is good if your walls are needing it. Make sure it's clean. The easiest way to see your house with a fresh set of eyes is to take some pictures and then look through them, you would be amazed at what you notice in a photo that you don't in passing through the house. Also, if you can afford it have a maid service come in, they can do wonders in a short amount of time. Make sure your home smells nice, but not overpowering. Good luck!
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 3:26 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• I agree with the other posters. And in addition, make sure the house has beautiful curb appeal (first impressions and all). Plant flowers, get a yard service, wash windows and make sure the front door is polished, painted and cleaned. Baking cookies is a great one- we did that many times. Be patient, especially if you're in a high end home-those loans are hard to come by during these economic times.

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 3:56 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• Curb appeal is very important. We made sure all the flower beds were very well kept and the walkways were swept and kept clean. We trimmed all the trees and made sure the backyard looked nice. Our backyard looked like a very nice park with beautiful grass and lots of plantings. It was a lot of work but we were really good at keeping the yard up anyway so not a big deal.
    momtolucas2002

Answer by momtolucas2002 at 5:45 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• Curb appeal (as Sisteract notes), and flowers on a vase (think "staging") and good smells. When I was renting out my house I sprayed an odor remover (can't think of the name of it right now).
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 4:46 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• over pricing turned us off. some people over price because they assume there will be price negotiations. price 5% below recent comps for multiple offers.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 9:03 AM on Sep. 8, 2010