Anyone home school their children or considering home schooling?

What are your reasons for home schooling or wanting to home school? How is it working out? What do you do outside of your home to help your children interact with other kids since they are not in a social enviorment?

fashionmommy375

Asked by fashionmommy375 at 2:47 PM on Sep. 7, 2010 in General Parenting

• I am a home-school kid. I plan to home school our little one. I can answer the "social environment" part of the question. Socialization is not an issue. There are home school co-ops where you can sign up your children for classes (great for high school subjects). What about sports? There are teams that are not school affiliated. Then there is music, drama, etc. It is easy to go to your local theater group, find a chorus, or even join a band. Even the library has socialization opportunities. Churches are great for that .... "youth group" is one, there are many other programs as well. Don't forget Boy Scouts and Girl Scouts, those are excellent opportunities.

If you are nervous about teaching, there are video schools and online schools available as well. See if you can find a Home School Expo in your area where they have teaching materials, etc. available for you to look at.
    bryncalyn

Answer by bryncalyn at 2:54 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• Thanks, I will look into that!
    fashionmommy375

Comment by fashionmommy375 (original poster) at 2:55 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• We homeschool our two daughters (11 and 15) and I also tutor another homeschooler (16). For interaction our girls are in Girl Scouts and they are both are involved with activities at the church, we do a lot of field trips and look for "homeschool days" at things like the zoo, aquarium, nature center, etc. There are also lots of co-ops and homeschool associations that you can join. My girls also do volunteer work through the county community partnership and get to socialized with people of all ages, including other kids their age. You can look for yahoo groups for Homeschoolers in your area - I found one for a group that is about 45 minutes away, we don't go to every meeting, but we do for a few field trips and our girls have a lot of fun.

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 3:16 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• We homeschool our 5 1/2 year old, the little guys will most likely be homeschooled as well. OUr reason are to many to list but mainly stem fromthe awful schools in our district and the fact that after our son was evaluated for vpk last year the school told us they had no place for a kid like him.(He has sensory issues that cause some behaviour issues but is also gifted, they wanted to place him in a Slow learning or ex ed class for his social issues at 4 but he was already learning 1st grade stuff at home) We gave homeschooling ALOT of thought and decided we would much rather be in charge of our kids learning and social life then a public school. He is thriving at home and at 5 is doing 1st and 2nd grade work so it has worked out well for us.
    For social activities, we are on a tigh budget so we plan around that, we take a monthly field trip with other homeschoolers, we also do weekly homeschooling group activities at the
    mamallamaof2

Answer by mamallamaof2 at 3:22 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• community centers,library storytimes,playdates with kids of all ages and alot of other things. Most of the things we do cost little or no money but we are ALWAYS doing something after our work for the week:)
    mamallamaof2

Answer by mamallamaof2 at 3:23 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• no, i think it is an excuse for a parent to be lazy, and it produces dumb children.....only 12 percent of home schoolers make it into college and only 3 percent of those get into an actual University!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 8:46 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• I home school. There were several reasons I chose to home school, the primary reason was my ds's autism and his outside therapy he receives. He plays ball (sn team) he has social group therapy once a month and we have play dates with our friends. Some who home school and others don't. My ds was in a self contained classroom so he's far more "social" out of school than in!
    Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 10:58 AM on Sep. 8, 2010