How did you celebrate your little one's first birthday?

Did you have a party? Was it family and close friends? Did you have a children's party? What did you do?

bryncalyn

Asked by bryncalyn at 2:48 PM on Sep. 7, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• With all 3 of my children we just had a small family only party with my parents, my sis and my mil. I did serve food, and we had cake and ice cream.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 2:50 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• We had a family party at the local playground. He had 3 siblings and 8 cousins there - 2 of his cousins were born the same year he was so they are his "friends" The kids played on the playground and we had cake and ice cream in the covered shelter.

Answer by missanc at 2:50 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• Honestly, I think a child's first birthday is more for the parents/family than for the kid... They don't know what's going on, and most of the time, they're just overwhelmed by the whole thing, heh. I had family and close friends over. Did the photo-op thing with him smushing his face in a cake, and that was pretty much it. He didn't particularly care about the presents, and about 2 hours into it, he got cranky and went down for a nap, ha!
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 2:51 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• we only had close family and my two best friends/kids..because at the time, those were the people who frequented my ds's life. we had a teddy-bear cupcake (super easy to do myself, 2 doz appropriately color-frosted and placed together in the shape of a bear), some party-snacks, and all-around good time. lots of pictures, of course!
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 2:52 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• For our first baby, we had a small party in a private room at a restaurant with just family. My son was the first grandbaby and my parents were so happy and wanted to do something special. For our second, we had a party at our house since none of our relatives live in the same state as us and her birthday was on a weeknight. We had seen both families that weekend and celebrated with my parents and sister in my hometown but DH's family came again on her actual birthday.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 2:59 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• My DS is a Leap Day baby, so we went to lunch on the 28th and then to my sister's house for his "Dollar Store" party. and on the 1st we got up and had a special breakfast and went to the park and had another small cake . We did this so he had his birthday in between, because he didn't have his day
    A "Dollar Store" party is something my sister and I came up with because between us we have 6 children. So to keep costs down we take the kids to the Dollar Store and they have to get everything for the party there, supplies,decorations gifts,etc. The child who's party it is is not allowed to go, so the others get to surprise them. They also make the cake and do all the set ups. The kids love this!
    dmbutler

Answer by dmbutler at 3:02 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• we had a party at my sisters house where we were living at the time we had family and friends over and had a clown
    Shannon706

Answer by Shannon706 at 3:02 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• We just had our daughter turn one. We had a bbq and had our friends over, and their kids, and even the ones without kids. We had a great time and also it was a pool party.
    Sillybillymel

Answer by Sillybillymel at 3:42 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• We had a family BBQ at the park.... we BBQed and served cake... it was perfect
    June_Mama09

Answer by June_Mama09 at 3:42 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• We had a party at home and invited family and friends.
    Cassandre

Answer by Cassandre at 3:56 PM on Sep. 7, 2010