What do you do with your child support money that you recieve?

I use some of it for bills,and some goes on to buying my son what he needs like a haircut or new shoes.I havent gotten it regulary in a long time but will here again soon.
A friend of mine says she just spends it all on her kids for toys and whatever they want. Am I wrong to pay bills with it?

kimberlyinberea

Asked by kimberlyinberea at 2:52 PM on Sep. 7, 2010 in General Parenting

• No - even when you are paying the bills, that is for his benefit. As long as your son has the things he needs, you can spend the money however you deem necessary.

Answer by missanc at 2:54 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• It gets direct deposited into our bank account. It goes to whatever we are paying at that time whether it's bills or groceries or taking the kids out for a fun day.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 2:55 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• Never got any...but, bills is fine, it is for your child's benefit.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 2:58 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• heck no!! child supoort..is to support your child and supporting ur child mean to pay bills and buy food and do what you need to do to run a good life for a child.. yes toys are nice and taking ur kid to the movies.. but i use mine as what ever the heck i want to use it on.. i dislike my ex and i never want to use the money he sends to me on giving my son a good time i spend my hard earned money on taking him out and buying him toys.. if he never sees my son or calls or sends him gifts im not going to spend his money to make my son happy ill take care of that myself but sure my ex can pay my cell phone bill or get some grocery, i also do not rely off of his money ever its always extra to the extra
    SammiGirl07

Answer by SammiGirl07 at 2:58 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• I pay bills with mine when i do get it an get my DD stuff
    davecswife

Answer by davecswife at 2:54 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• My SS mom spends it on drugs and junk. Not a dime goes to my husbands son.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 2:54 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• I just bought stuff my child needed clothes, pull ups, out to eat when she wanted mcdonalds lol have not gotten any in over 4 months but i really need it now
    Shannon706

Answer by Shannon706 at 2:56 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• There is nothing wrong with using it towards bills because part of that is taking care of your child. With that said, I would strongly encourage you to NEVER base your bills on receiving this money, as you even said that you don't always get it regularly. It really should be money you can live without unfortunately, just so you are never caught in a bind. As long as you know that you are providing for your child's needs, it really doesn't matter what you spend that exact money on.
    AmeliasMommy206

Answer by AmeliasMommy206 at 2:57 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• why wouldn't your bills be part of that? the bills aren't yours alone..they are part of the household. if you only buy toys/etc for the kids, i'd think they would believe this is all dad is good for, and not be appreciative in the long run. a household runs off of all things..i'd use CS right along WITH my own income to pay for whatever was needed.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 2:58 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• It should go to whatever you need to spend it on to raise his child properly. If it's a roof over his head, food on the plates etc, it all comes out in the wash.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 3:03 PM on Sep. 7, 2010