My son's temper is getting worse, What can I do?

My son turned 3 in August and he is a good kid for the most part, but I have noticed that for the past month or so he has been getting upset fairly easily and he screams, tries to hit people, and throws things. He also will start crying out of control and screams bloody murder when you try to talk to him or calm him down. After a while I can sometimes get him distracted and he seems to forget about it but that doesn't always work. I don't know why his temper has gotten so bad and have tried talking to him and explaining that he cannot hit or throw things and tell him that he needs to be nicer, but nothing seems to help. Why do you think he's behaving like this?? Is it normal? What can I do to get him to stop??

Mom2Dano

Asked by Mom2Dano at 2:57 PM on Sep. 7, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My son, who will be 3 in October is the same way! It's so frustrating!
    OBImomma

Answer by OBImomma at 3:01 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• These are fairly typical actions of a toddler. Sometimes they react in anger because they are still learning how to communicate their feelings. With that said, if you are really worried about him, talk to his doctor. They can test him for lead and check his sugar, among other things. Sometimes there is an underlying medical issue. Hang in there!
    AmeliasMommy206

Answer by AmeliasMommy206 at 2:59 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• Is he sleeping enough? Sometimes lack of sleep can contribute to emotional problems.

Also, sometimes, kids regress before they reach another developmental stage. My daughter was 8 in the spring. She was whiny and clingy, and seemed to be acting more like a 5 year old. All of a sudden this summer she had a growth spurt, and emotionally she seemed to grow as well. She is talking instead of whining, helping with chores instead of complaining about things. I hope it continues LOL

Your son might be going through the same thing, it might be a phase that you just have to live through.
    RedRowan

Answer by RedRowan at 9:34 AM on Sep. 8, 2010

• Ok some will not agree with me but how about some child counseling there are plenty of awsome counselors and some are for free depends on were you live
    pyrofyterwife

Answer by pyrofyterwife at 5:00 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• being 3 or 4 is all about power... it's a phase... he controls your attention and your time when he is throwing these fits... while i'm not saying to ignore him... i would try to downplay the fits as much as you can. my 3 year old tries the same thing... i tell her that she is welcome to sit on the couch until she is done, and then we will go on with our day... while her sister and i continue to play or whatnot. it ends quickly as she realizes that the world isn't going to stop for her...
    sounds bad, but at this age, they WANT the world to work around them... you just have to find nice ways to show them that you aren't going to bend, give, stop everything you are doing, to give into their moments.
    asil

Answer by asil at 1:04 AM on Sep. 9, 2010