Cosleeping with my one year old daughter

My daughter has just turned one and my husband and I cosleep with her. We have done this since she was born basically. Alot of other parents we talk to think it is a bad idea and she needs to be in her crib. She does still wake up a couple times a night to feed and needs to be rocked or patted on her behind to help her go back to sleep. Personally, I like cosleeping. I feel more comfortable having my daughter right there with me than I do in her crib. But we keep getting the comments you will regret it. I will say this. Sometimes if my daughter is having a fussy night, like if she is teething, I will sleep in a spare room with her, so my husband can sleep. He has to go to work early in the morning, and cannot be exhausted or call in.(He is AD Army) Has anyone else coslept? And did you regret it. I want honest answers.I guess it is just bothering me that all my friends think we are crazy for being as they call it, too attached.

Sillybillymel

Asked by Sillybillymel at 3:19 PM on Sep. 7, 2010 in General Parenting

• I did it until my son was five. He moved just fine and had no ill effects. I will co-sleep with all subsequent children. No regrets.

http://www.askdrsears.com/html/7/t071000.asp

BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 3:23 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• I have co-slept with my children since they were 3 weeks ( until then they slept in a bassinet beside me) .... I wouldnt change it ... alot of people say they couldnt imagine sleeping with their kids in their bed... but I say I couldnt imagine sleeping without them.......... When me and SO want "adult time" we go into the spare room after the kids are asleep or become more creative....
    AmericanaQueen

Answer by AmericanaQueen at 3:25 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• also I just wanted to add, they dont "act" any different, I mean they are close to me but I do spend all day with them so I think even if we didnt cosleep they would still be attached like they are.... other than that they are very social, normal, smart children
    AmericanaQueen

Answer by AmericanaQueen at 3:27 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• I do not regret cosleeping. DD coslept part time until like 18 mos, and DS full time until about 2 yrs. They both occasionally come into our bed, and are most of the time welcome there.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 3:32 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• I don't think there's anything wrong with it... its really none of their business.... people are going to spout off their opinions about how you raise your children all the time but those decisions are up to you and your husband, no one else.
    If neither of you have a problem with her sharing your bed then I don't see why other people should care
    elizabiza

Answer by elizabiza at 3:37 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• kids do tend to cling and won't sleep on their own if they sleep with their parents too long. my daughter is a month old and she sleeps in her own room next to ours, we can always hear her when she wakes up to eat. it's better for us cause my fiance and i get to sleep as a couple and she'll grow up knowing that she sleeps in her own room. besides we spend all day playing with her so i think she'd get sick of us if she slept in our room
    aliishott2

Answer by aliishott2 at 3:40 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• If it works for your family, it shouldnt matter what other people think. I co slept with my son when he was younger. If you're still doing some night time feedings it really helps. Once you get ready to transition her to her own bed or room, you might consider what we did. (My son is autistic and was hard to break until we did this) About a month before his birthday I started telling him You're going to be ___years old. That means you're a big boy now! All big boys sleep in their own bed in their own room. Once his birthday came, we told him he was a big boy now. It took maybe 2 nights of reminding him, but it worked!
    Kids who sleep with parents are not spoiled or whiny or any of that. As they grow older they tend to be more secure because they had the security of mom and dad there at night.
    duckigrrl

Answer by duckigrrl at 3:41 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• ^ that is a lie. My son was spending the night at friends houses at 5. So, yeah...not true at all!!!
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 3:42 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• That was for Allishott2.
    BradenIsMySon

• We have co-slept with our son since he was about 9 months old. He got into a habit of only sleeping for about 30 minutes and then waking up. Needless to say, that was a bit tiring. As soon as we put him in our bed he slept like a log. Of course now he's 6 and STILL sleeps with us. He has his own room and his own bed, he just refuses to sleep there. He keeps saying he would be scared. (Of what? Your toys?) I think we might try the, "You're 7 and a big boy now." when his birthday rolls around. But I say do whatever you think is right, your kid isn't going to be scarred as long as he doesn't wake up and find mom and dad "wrestling". LOL
    JerbysMom

Answer by JerbysMom at 4:11 PM on Sep. 7, 2010