how do you get over extreme shyness

I am extremely shy which leads me to not really going out alone to places where there will be crowds. How do i get over it.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:16 AM on Oct. 14, 2008 in Health

• sounds more like social anxiety than just your average shyness.

I can so relate! I used to not even go to the store if no one could go with me!

my breakthrough came by working as a waitress. That really gets you out there with people that you have to deal with.
    flutterfae

Answer by flutterfae at 1:22 AM on Oct. 14, 2008

• I;m also an extremely shy person that doesnt like going anywhere alone, i hate malls and everything that has tons of people, i even hate family gaterings because i have to socialize with them and they think i'm antisocial, but i also dont like talking to people i dont like! i hate it when u o to a public place and everybody stares like they have nothing better to do!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:34 AM on Oct. 14, 2008

• oh i forgot to tell u how do i deal with it, i stay home and once in a blue moon when i do go out i picture them naked so i wont be that shy or i go and hide in the back room. i remember when my stupid in laws wanted me to go in the holidays for the family gatherings and i was pregnant at that time and my blood pressure went up so high but i felt sorry for my baby because of my blood pressure i wish i wouldnt have gone or listened to my pathetic inlaws!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:36 AM on Oct. 14, 2008

• I try to not think about it, and if I'm trying to break the ice with someone, I'll pick something out of thiers, like thier shirt or jewelry and compliment them on it, ask them where they got it, etc. Something like that usually leads to more conversation. I've been told I am very easy to talk to and great to hang out with when I RELAX, lol.
    mamapotter

Answer by mamapotter at 2:35 AM on Oct. 14, 2008

• Ugh! I'm with you! I hate going to malls. My husband orders my food for me at restaurants, including fast food. I'm talking Taco Bell here, lol. What helps me when things get really, really anxious is that I make myself go places and have to talk for myself. Or, I'll call up old friends I haven't talked to in a while, since they feel like strangers after a while.
    KatieBatey

Answer by KatieBatey at 8:05 AM on Oct. 14, 2008

• I think its something you just kind of have to FORCE yourself to do. Introduce yourself to people and try and make yourself a little more assertive. If it really turns into social anxiety, you may need to get something to help with that.
    EmilyRoseLovett

Answer by EmilyRoseLovett at 3:33 PM on Oct. 14, 2008