Advice on weaning

Looking for some concrete tips on how to wean my 13 month old. We are heading overseas in late September and when we return, she'll be just over 14 months old and I'd like to start this process. She nurses before a morning and afternoon nap and before bed, once during the night (which I intend to stop doing), and then again for a little bit when she wakes up (between 5 and 6 am). In total, she's nursing between 4 and 5 times in a 24 hour period and not really asking to be nursed throughout the day when she's busy playing. I can't simply replace the breast with a sippy cup since she is very uninterested in sippy cups. I am trying to get pregnant again and don't want to nurse once that happens. So, any advice on how to do this would be most helpful. Probably the easiest one to drop would be the morning nap because she's so tired that I'm sure she'd conk out even withoug being nursed (though she'll likely put up a fight). Thanks

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:37 PM on Sep. 7, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Drop one session per week until done. Start with the easiest to drop, end with the most favored session. Know that the last one to go might take more then a week. Distract and delay if possible.

Another favored method is don't offer, don't refuse. And you do just as it says. You don't offer to nurse, but don't say no if asked. This method will likely take a bit longer.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 3:40 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• the latter of the methods krysta mentions worked great for me. then its all up to your child and its much less stressful on them. and a good way to get her used to the cup is to just make sure there is always one in her reach. full of water or a diluted juice.
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 3:44 PM on Sep. 7, 2010