Does anyone have a favorite family recipe?

I do most of the cooking in my house and I have favorites that I alternate for the pay period. I actually make a menu for each day of the pay period and go shopping for those ingredients. I also have recipes that I make in the summer and those for the winter. lol But that being said, I still get bored sometimes with the same 'ole, same 'ole. Please share any favorite family recipe(s) that you have or ask for one of mine! :)

carol2m2

Asked by carol2m2 at 3:40 PM on Sep. 7, 2010 in Food & Drink

• YES Chicken and broccoli! it's awesome! I use 3-4 chicken breast chop them up into bite size peices, put them in the cassarole pan with 3 cups of broccoli, and one can of cream of broccoli and 1 of cream of chicken mix it all together. then one top sprinkle shredded cheddar cheese and on top of that bread chunks. put in the over at 350 for 30 min or until the bread is toasted and cheese is melted. DELISH
    MsLouLou

Answer by MsLouLou at 3:43 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• Birdsnest. Now this can be made two different ways.

We usually leave out the veggies for the Chicken option, but we pile them on for the hamburger option. Both are made the same way.

Cube and Cook your Chicken until lightly browned. Adding only salt, pepper, and a dash of galirc powder if seasoning is desired.
    Brown ground beef in pan. No seasoning is neccisarily, but seasoning used on chicken is fine if desired.
    Prepare your mashed potatoes. We like fresh mashed potatoes with peeled Russet or Gold Potatoes.
    For Hamburger Recipe use Brown Gravy. For Chicken Recipe we use Roasted Turkey Gravy. Any gravy is fine though. You can use homemade or store bought gravy.

To Serve Pile Chicken or Hamburger ontop of Mashed Potatoes and add gravy. Veggies to be served with this dish can be anything. We usually use Corn and Peas. Now that I think of it Beef Tips can also be used for this dish.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 4:03 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• Quesadillas are also a family favorite. We do simple Flour Tortillas, Chicken, Refried Beans, and Colby/Monteray Jack Cheese.
    On half of a tortilla spread cold refried beans. Top with cubed pre-cooked chicken (Non-seasoned, cooked until browned), and shredded cheese. Fold over second half of tortilla, lightly spread butter ontop and cook on skillet. Until both sides are browned and cheese has melted thoroughly.

Taco Salad.
    I cut up lettuce as my bed, sprinkle some cheese ontop, pile seasoned hamburger ontop of that, add refried beans (prepared), cheese, sour cream, and salsa (if desired). Then I drag out the bag of tortilla chips and use them to eat my Taco Salad.

We make our Speghetti with Jimmy Dean's Brand HOT sausage. This last time we added diced bacon and it was delicious. It sure beats the regular hamburger recipe my folks used to serve.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 4:10 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• I do the same thing you do with the menu - but I make new recipes all the time! However one always has to stay on our menu every other week or I get yelled at! It's called Barbecue Chicken Skillets (at our house we just say Skillets though)

Per person use 2 potatoes, 1/3-1/2 chicken breast (can be leftover chicken from another meal), diced onion, barbecue sauce and shredded cheese as wanted.

Peel potatoes and cut into bite size chunks. Pan fry in a little oil. Dice and grill/panfry chicken if it's not cooked already. On each person's plate, put some potatoes, top with chicken, barbecue sauce, onion and cheese (as much as each person wants) then microwave till cheese melts. Stir and enjoy!
    Hausermom

Answer by Hausermom at 3:47 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• My Italian Wedding Soup Recipe has been passed down and perfected for over 4 generations... but... I can't share it! LOL.... how about my New England Clam Chowder recipe... very good on crisp fall days!...

WoodWitch

Answer by WoodWitch at 4:03 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• I like to make Nopeekee Stew in a cast iron dutch oven with the lid on. It's very easy and makes the house smell wonderful all day.
    All you do is chop up a chuck roast or any other kind of beef you use for stew, add carrots, potatoes, onion, celery and any other veggies you like in your stew. Season with herbs and spices of your choice. Pour a can of tomato soup on top. Place lid on and put in oven for 5 hrs at 300 degrees with out opening oven or peeking in dutch oven. Yep that is all there is to it and it is delish!!!!
    thismamacooks

Answer by thismamacooks at 4:22 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• OMG'sh these are wonderful! Thank you so much. I can't wait to try them out and add them to my rotation! :)
    carol2m2

Comment by carol2m2 (original poster) at 5:56 PM on Sep. 7, 2010