Not Listing

Hello good afternoon to all. i'm having a problem with my 3rd yrs, Rayhanna(my daughter) my problem is that she is not listening at all. when we are at home we have to repeat things to her like 4x. there is nothing wrong with her ears, it's just that she dont like to listen. I picked up from school not to long ago, and the the teacher gave me her daily report, which is that she having a problem with Rayhanna not listening. The teacher said that it was story time and she was reading to the kids, Rayhanna got up and went to play with the toys, and she had to tell rayhanna to put it away about 3x before she put it away. i blame me and her dad, the reason why i say that i have to blame us is b/c before Rayhanna stated school she was at a babysitter who had other kids and of cause different age group and what they did Rayhanna doing, she picked up everything, and i do mean everything. How can we change her to listen when spoking to

trinibaby

Asked by trinibaby at 3:52 PM on Sep. 7, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Idk I'm going through the same problems with my 4yr!
    MsLouLou

Answer by MsLouLou at 3:53 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• idk, it feel like i'm failing as a parent, i dont know what else to do
    trinibaby

Comment by trinibaby (original poster) at 3:57 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• It will be next to impossible for your daughter's teacher to do this, given she has a full class room to deal with, but when your daughter is at home try getting down at her level and making eye contact with her when you giver her instructions. Touch her while you talk, her hand, arm, or shoulder. Speak calmly and quietly, and always say "please". Have her repeat the instructions back to you, to show she heard what you said.

If she wanders off and doesn't do as you requested, don't yell, go retrieve her, repeat the process and if you must, lead her through the task. But you must be consistent and do this every time. Eventually she will learn to listen without so much hand holding. Although honestly, my oldest children are 8 & 9 and there are times when they need to be reminded of what they have been asked to do.

You may also need to set up "punishments" and "rewards" for her.
    DawnA72

Answer by DawnA72 at 4:02 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• we do that now, i guess we need to be consistent with it. we'll trry . thank you
    trinibaby

Comment by trinibaby (original poster) at 4:14 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• my daughter is having the same problem with my 3yr. old grandson. she started taking toys away from him.
    stressedoutgran

Answer by stressedoutgran at 3:33 AM on Sep. 8, 2010

• If I have to tell my daughter more than two times to do something she gets a time out. For example if I tell her to pick up her toys and she does not, I will say, "Okay, Keara this is the second time I have had to tell you and if I have to tell you a third time, I am going to be upset you are going to be in trouble, do you want that?" She knows that means she will be on the couch for 5 minutes after she is done picking up the toys. On the other end, when I tell her to pick up her toys and she does it right away, I will say "Wow, what a good job you have done and you are picking them up right away, here I will help you do it" and then I will proceed to tell her how awesome it is to do things when told and I will say things like "isn't it much more fun to do it this way instead of when you are in trouble?" It seems to be working for her.
    Peajewel

Answer by Peajewel at 9:47 AM on Sep. 8, 2010

• keep at it, be positive, overly positive when she DOES listen... and work with the teacher...
    stop blaming others... while you say it's her dad's fault, YOU are her parent as well and have to set the example for her. sure she may have gotten a few bad ideas from the babysitter or the other kids... but how long has she been in school? wouldn't the "good" rub off like the "bad" did at the sitter?
    this is more than what you can blame on other kids, her dad or the sitter... she needs to have limits set, positive feedback, and start over from step one with her.
    asil

Answer by asil at 1:02 AM on Sep. 9, 2010