If your 15 yr old daughter got pregnant by an 18 yr old, would you press charges against him?

nmmama09

Asked by nmmama09 at 4:00 PM on Sep. 7, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• It WAS rape - a 15 year old has not reached the age of consent - therefore, it was non-consensual sex.
    caseyandkids

Answer by caseyandkids at 6:56 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• Did he force her? Is he accepting responsiblity for the child? Is she going to give birth to the child? Will he be participating as the father? So many questions. Think it through. There will be implications for a long time.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 4:02 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• No..as stupid as they were I dont want the father of my grandbaby having to have a record for something that takes 2..not just one.
    ryanlynn

Answer by ryanlynn at 4:02 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• no why have that on his record? he will be labeled a sex offender and will always have trouble finding work and places to live..he needs to be around with a clean record to support the baby and your daughter
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 4:04 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• I personally would not. But, i would make her go to court & get child support from him somehow.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 4:02 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• No. I would want him to support the baby and my daughter financially. If he is listed as a sex offender every one will assume he is a pedifile and would not be able to get a job to support the kid. So if your daughter was willing than why make the situation worse?
    Alanaplus3

Answer by Alanaplus3 at 4:04 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• Not unless it was forced intercourse. Otherwise I couldn't see the charge doing any good to the situation (particularly if they are going to have the baby and co-parent the baby) and I can see it doing harm both to the man and to the baby that results in the end.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 4:15 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• if she was raped I'd press charges.... if she was consensual then no I wouldn't all your doing is making things worse for you grandbaby but having its father have a record and causing a further rift with you between them. His age has nothing to do with her ability to say no and I wouldn't punish HIM because THEY made a stupid decision.... besides having a baby at that age is punishment enough for both of them
    TjsbabiegirljT

Answer by TjsbabiegirljT at 4:21 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• Duh, statutory rape IS rape. Surprising so many women don't get that.

So, a 15 year old, freshman of sophomore in high school, that has sex willingly with her boyfriend is the same as being held down, clothes ripped off, brutalized and someone forced into you? Sometimes at gunpoint or knifepoint, being beaten, or brutalized in some other fashion. I'm surprised you don't get THAT.
    MissAlisabeth

Answer by MissAlisabeth at 12:57 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• It depends on how he was handling the responsibility of being involved. I would be angry, upset, hurt.. but try to think if it would just complicate things more. So I do not know.
    tryin2BGOOD

Answer by tryin2BGOOD at 4:03 PM on Sep. 7, 2010