Iraq not being called a combat zone for money? Military.

I was talking to some other wives today at a FRG meeting about Iraq and pulling the combat troops out and someone brought up a good point. Iraq will not be classified as a combat zone, so the soldiers will not get hazardous duty pay. Is that right? I mean it wouldnt surprise me. We have some soldiers in my husband's unit right now in Haiti but do not get hazardous duty pay or combat pay. They are only getting seperation pay and are not getting the deployment pay tax exemption, because it was classified as a training mission, and was supposed to be for 5 months. Well now they have been there 8 months, and everyone seems to be under the impression tis was done on purpose for monetary reasons. What do you think? My husband will be deployed early next year and will be one of the last ones out. Just a thought. He isnt combat related he is in communications.

Sillybillymel

Asked by Sillybillymel at 4:01 PM on Sep. 7, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I think we (i don't mean citizens) treat our soldiers like shit. We don't even pay them a living wage. It's shameful.

Do women get combat pay?
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 4:03 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• That's not necessarily true... I wouldn't just go off of rumors that are circulating... find out for sure from the commander
    elizabiza

Answer by elizabiza at 4:03 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• Honestly, I don't think that is why they did it, however I think as long as they are there they should get Combat pay. It's different than being in Haiti like he is now or anywhere else. The terriroty is still hostile

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 4:05 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• my hubby is deployed but getting combat and hazard pay... i think its wrong that if they are in iraq they aren't get that too!!! its still dangerous for those troops to be there!!! : (
    pinkdena

Answer by pinkdena at 4:06 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• Honestly, that sounds about right. When my husband was in the army, his unit would be in the field for 29 days and come home for a day or two and go right back out just so they would not have to pay separation pay. However, as elizabiza, said, I would wait until you hear it from the horse's mouth (aka the commander).

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 4:07 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• Yeah thanks. Well we are in a transition. We are getting a new commander. But the current commander is really bad at communicating. Not that hes bad overall, but terrible at communicating. We have no idea about alot of things until the last minute. And I mean last minute. They knew for months that guys were going to haiti, but we never had a list of who was going or orders until a week before. It was insane. And we know the unit is in a rotation to leave in feb. But no word on the upcoming training. It is kinda getting ridiculous.
    Sillybillymel

Comment by Sillybillymel (original poster) at 4:10 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• Hrmmmm, I dunnno... Korea was taken off the hazardous status... And the troops stopped getting paid.... But I don't know the sequence of events/time frame that occured for this process....

Also, US military were involved in a combat mission in Iraq yesterday or the day before in Iraq... The fighting hasn't stopped there.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 4:25 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• And the troops stopped getting paid *hazardous duty/combat pay*
    grlygrlz2

• No I dont believe they were stopped yet. It was a conversation that I had with other wives, as that was being thrown around. It does make sense though, I have seen things like that done for monetary reasons.
    Sillybillymel

Comment by Sillybillymel (original poster) at 4:28 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

Do women get combat pay?

Whether they are men or women if they are in a combat zone they are paid combat pay. Gender doesn't make a difference in military pay.

matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 5:37 PM on Sep. 7, 2010