If my child dosent listen now, will he grow up to be a bad kid?

I worry that Im going to have one of those disrespectful teenagers like on Dr. Phil!
He just throes fits, and dosent listen! Is this just normal 2 year old behaviour?

roxy1984

Asked by roxy1984 at 1:45 AM on Oct. 14, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I agree with all the posters so far. He is testing you (and his surroundings) at this age. He's learning what is acceptable and what isn't. So yes, it's normal for him to be "nuts" but you have to be MOM right now. You are the boss in his world. So make sure he knows that. If you don't have control now, you'll have lots of problems later on.
    jenettyshome

Answer by jenettyshome at 8:05 AM on Oct. 14, 2008

• partly normal, yes. But you also have to be firm in your boundaries and rules NOW while they are young.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:46 AM on Oct. 14, 2008

• thats how my 3 yr old is and i hate it when stuoid people tell me he needs medication to control hom from acting like that, i think its normal for a kid to be like that at terrible twos and threes, as long as u get after them they'll start listening eventually, but it is embarrassing spanking them infront of people even though they want us too.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:50 AM on Oct. 14, 2008

• Terrible twos yes they are normal, but you have to set limits. When fits are being throw, count to 5 and if you get there, its time for time out. It takes some time to work out these little problems and youre going to be tested, but you need to set your limits and stick to them. Will help in the furture.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:57 AM on Oct. 14, 2008

• It is normal, but you do have to set limits and maintain control. If you let him disobey and not listen, then yes, as he gets older he will have less respect for you and be less likely to listen. You just have to stay firm. It's hard, but just remind yourself that you're doing what's best for him and for you.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 7:44 AM on Oct. 14, 2008

• I think it's a toddler thing. They are still learning. You just have to teach them how you want them to act. I've learned that consistancy is a major part of it.
    kinzleysmommy

Answer by kinzleysmommy at 8:25 AM on Oct. 14, 2008

• yes he needs boundaries but some off that is just the age.....just deal with it now as best you can rather than later but don't stress yourself too much about it. Some of it is just the age.
    ronronsbeauty

Answer by ronronsbeauty at 8:38 AM on Oct. 14, 2008

• Normal toddler behavior. Just stay consistent w/ him and he'll be fine.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:47 AM on Oct. 14, 2008

• yes, and yes.
    If you are not completely consistent and follow through with discipline, you WILL end up with a "bad kid."
    2 year olds will throw tantrums. the key is to NEVER give in. if you say no once, say no again and again and again. don't argue, don't threaten. say no, give the consequence, and then follow through if the behavior continues.
    it worked for my 6 and 3 year olds.
    wallylicious

Answer by wallylicious at 9:26 AM on Oct. 14, 2008