what breast pump is good but doesnt cost an arm and leg...

pinkdena

Asked by pinkdena at 4:24 PM on Sep. 7, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Check on Ebay. I found a brand new(sealed in the box) double electric First Years miPump for $45 shipped and according to the reviews it's an awesome pump. (I just looked now and they have one now for $77.99-- http://cgi.ebay.com/First-Years-miPump-Deluxe-Double-Pump-New-/130419331515?pt=Feeding&hash=item1e5d9911bb ) Since you won't be using it that often I'd say a single electric one would work fine...and they're much cheaper....the lansinoh one is in walmart for $44 I think...check around the internet...you can usually find them for cheaper since people buy them and end up not using them.
    jazi1105

Answer by jazi1105 at 5:06 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• It depends on how much you consider an arm and a leg. I rented the hospital grade pump and paid $60 a month for it for 7 months and it was worth every penny. It was a dual pump and worked like a charm. It also depends on how often you are going to be pumping. My son would not latch, no matter how much everyone tried, so I had to pump for every little bit of breast-milk he got. So, I needed something really solid to help me. If you are only going to pump once a day, you can get a single pump (Medela makes a great one). Or you can pay a bit more for a dual electric pump if you intend to pump a couple times a day (the time saving will be worth it and your hand will certainly thank you for not giving it the workout that the manual pump does!). I definitely liked the Medela line, as I had a manual single pump, very helpful for when our power went out in the winter.

Not sure if that helped, but if you want more info, PM me.
    kathria

Answer by kathria at 4:31 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• Your insurance, most often than not, will cover the cost of a breastpump. If you are looking at pumping at work once you go back to work, definitely get a double electric and those will cost you about $250-300 -- but you WILL need one.
    If you are just needing something every once in a while so you can go out, a hand pump or even manually expressing will work fine (it takes a while to get the hang of it!)
    MommaofH2

Answer by MommaofH2 at 4:38 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• i recommend the lansinoh double electric pump. that is what i had for my first son, and for work, and it did really well. for my 2nd son, i had a hospital grade pump and it was soooo soo much better. but if you are not goign to be working, and only pumping occasionally, the lansinoh would do well for you imo. i bought mine for $100 from amazon.com. i didn't get the affinity model because i read a bad review on that one, just the lansinoh double electric. you might want to consider an even cheaper hand pump though if you really won't be pumping much
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 5:10 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• well if you want a good product you have to pay sweetie! I too am a SAHM, and we are army, and insuarnce will not cover it, but I pay 89 a month to rent thru LeLeche
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 5:39 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• if you rare breastfeedinga nd a sahm, just get a hand pump. i just got the one from wic lasttime and it was comfortable and gentle and did the job.
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 7:25 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• Honestly....I bought a fancy double electric one and a hand held one and ended up using the handheld more. It was quieter to pump with at night, I used it in the car on road trips and it seemed to express more milk. I think mine was Avent.

Also...I ended up having to pump quite a bit and STILL used the handheld.
    jenellemarie

Answer by jenellemarie at 12:22 AM on Sep. 8, 2010

• well i think 60 a month is a lot.... i dont want to spend more than a 100 cause im going going to pump for when we go out and for at night when my husband gets up with the baby... he cant wait to have that bonding time.... and to help me as much as he can
    pinkdena

Comment by pinkdena (original poster) at 4:33 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• i dont work im a sahm.... how will my insurance pay for one???? (i am on my husbands)
    pinkdena

Comment by pinkdena (original poster) at 4:41 PM on Sep. 7, 2010