how short would you let your son wear his shorts?

i keep my son's shorts at his knee..usually lower..he may have one or two pairs that are a half an inch or so above but thats about it. Today i saw a boy that had to be about 11 yrs old that was wearing shorts about 3 inches above the knee! They looked like girl shorts. Is it just me that finds it kinda weird that a mom would let her son wear girly shorts or do some moms let your boys wear shorts like this..(no offense if you do) I honestly have just never seen it...or maybe never paid attention. ...and before everyone jumps off the deep end..yes i do realize money could be an issue for some people. I guess my question should be...if money is not an issue how long do you like to keep you boys shorts?

shay1130

Asked by shay1130 at 4:24 PM on Sep. 7, 2010 in General Parenting

• Poor kid. I may let my 6 yr old get away with shorter shorts sometimes but my 9 & 13 yr old's shorts have to at least be at the knee or below.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 4:26 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• If he was comfortable I don't see the issue. As long as nothing is "hanging out" I don't see a reason to tell them they have to be longer... I hate to see boys in short shorts, and I hate to see girls in long shorts or peddle pushers., but I'm not going to tell someone else how to dress - and that included a child. Their clothing isn't hurting them or me, it's non-offensive and not showing body parts it shouldn't be... So I don't see a good reason to limit it - even if I don't like it.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 4:31 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• male shorts are supposed to be baggy and below the knee unless they wanna look like Urkle
    aliishott2

Answer by aliishott2 at 4:33 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• sabrina..i agree with the whole comfort thing but i'm sorry..if this was my child i would have to tell him how to dress...lol
    shay1130

Comment by shay1130 (original poster) at 4:35 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• Mine refused to wear shorts above his knee starting at age 3. So, I had no choice in the matter.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 4:39 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• wherever he wants to wear them... not my shorts not my issue.... who knows that could be a new style or something just like the baggy shorts are so not a problem with me
    TjsbabiegirljT

Answer by TjsbabiegirljT at 5:04 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• And I would agree with you IF their clothing was offensive or showing things it shouldn't... But just being a few inches above the knee isn't something worth getting upset over... Clothing shouldn't be all about how it looks, it should be about comfort first... If the kid's happy, why make an issue out of nothing?

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 5:23 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• i think at that age it is up to the child. He is old enough to know what he wants to wear and have his own style. My 4 year old on the other hand i keep his at the knee but that waist can NOT show underwear I HATE that!
    wildwiccan83

Answer by wildwiccan83 at 5:25 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• knee or below!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 8:40 PM on Sep. 7, 2010