VBAC, what do I do?

Ok, So I really wanted a VBAC. I had hypertension with my first pregnancy and had to have an emergency c-section at 36 wks. Afterwards, I felt terribly deprived of the opportunity to give birth to my son, like I had been robbed of that experience...so I really wanted a VBAC this time around.

We just had our first Dr's Appt. And apparently the local hospital doesn't do VBACs, for insurance reasons. I feel like I'm being robbed of that experience all over again. The closest hospital that does do VBACs is an hour away, and known to not be the best hospital...the next one is two hours away, and not plausible for prenatal care checkups or delivery. Why is it even an option for Insurance companies to deny hospitals the ability to perform them? How do I cope with the loss of this experience...I've dreamt of giving birth naturally since I was a child..I always wanted to have a baby the natural way..and I may never get the chance.

BisketLiss

Asked by BisketLiss at 4:27 PM on Sep. 7, 2010 in Pregnancy

• First, you are misinformed about home birth and it's safety. It is consistantly shown in many studies to be just as safe or safer than hospital birth. If you're uncomfortable with it, that's totally okay and a hospital VBAC IS still an option for you.

It's illegal for hospitals to ban VBACs. They're not allowed to. You have a couple options here. You can just refuse to have a C-section, since no one can make you, go in to the hospital when you're in labor (whatever hospital you want to go to) and have your baby... or you can try to change the hospital's policies. Do some research and get in touch with ICAN (google it, I always screw up the URL lol). They ahve lots of good information on how to achieve VBAC in a non-VBAC friendly hospital.

You CAN do this and you SHOULD do this...both for your peace of mind and for the health and safety of you and your child.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 4:36 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• You could always find a midwife to do a homebirth. Hospitals are for sick people.
    arnoldgirl613

Answer by arnoldgirl613 at 4:28 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• What arnoldgirl613 said
    Raeann11

Answer by Raeann11 at 4:31 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• No, I'm not willing to do a homebirth. I'd much rather do the C-section than risk the chance that something could be wrong (especially since we had complications last time) and we wouldn't make it to the hospital in time.
    BisketLiss

Comment by BisketLiss (original poster) at 4:32 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• Definitely check with your insurance and see if they cover home births. Though, keep in mind, if you end up with hypertension again, you would be considered "high-risk" and most midwives wouldn't even attempt a home birth.
    arouthier

Answer by arouthier at 4:32 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• Either drive the 2 hours, get a midwife(at a birth center or at home), or have another c-section.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 4:37 PM on Sep. 7, 2010