Have you seen this?

Frightening...

Will post 'clickable link'.

BradenIsMySon

Asked by BradenIsMySon at 4:32 PM on Sep. 7, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Things have changed a lot in the last 30 years, too. These days, more women are getting educated, and doctors are going away from a lot of the old "standard procedures" that made things easier for the doctor, such as enemas, shaving, and routine episiotomies. Midwives are in more and more hospitals (I'm a midwifery student, so I know a thing or two about modern birth), and home births are on the rebound, particularly in more liberal states like California. The story is truly shocking, and it's really scary how high the cesarean rate is in the US (as well as the infant mortality rate- we're in line with many third world countries thanks to all of our interventions), however, the homing devices are fiction. There are still many unnecessary cesareans performed every day (remember, obstetricians are SURGEONS), which increases risks of all sorts of problems, including incision infection, difficulty breastfeeding and increased PPD.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 4:22 AM on Sep. 8, 2010

• I don't know about you, but when it comes to delivering, I trust my very experienced doctor over my exhausted, hormonal self. If he orders a C-section, then that's what I'm doing. No need to put my child or myself at risk. I've delivered 4 children, my doctor has delivered THOUSANDS. There are exceptions to every rule, but should we be focusing on those individual stories or should we be focusing on the numbers?
    SabrinaBean

Answer by SabrinaBean at 5:06 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• i agree with you sabrinabean...i totally agree with my doctor no matter what..i may question them at times..but they will give me answers..they have far more experience than any research i can come up with over the computer..i'm sure
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 5:08 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• BradenIsMySon

Comment by BradenIsMySon (original poster) at 4:32 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• Did you even read the whole thing? Yes, the homing device is fiction, however, the lady forced into restraints and an ambulance and then forced to undergo a c-section is a real story.
    BradenIsMySon

Comment by BradenIsMySon (original poster) at 4:40 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• In Denver, in 1982, a judge and an attorney were actually summoned to the hospital room where an obese woman was in labor and was adamantly refusing a Cesarean. The baby still in her womb was declared a ward of the state until birth, the woman was anesthetized, and a Cesarean was performed. The doctor had insisted there was fetal distress, but the baby was born perfectly healthy. This incident, analyzed by Jordan and Irwin (1989) along with eight other similar cases, was reported to me in 1983 by one of the obstetricians whom I interviewed in Centertown. He said that the obstetrician who performed the Cesarean had been bragging about it at a recent obstetrical convention. Even more alarming, the Centertown obstetrician whom I interviewed did not personally see anything wrong with such an approach.

BradenIsMySon

Comment by BradenIsMySon (original poster) at 4:42 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• On January 13, 1996, two decades after Corea‚Äôs essay was written, Laura Pemberton of Florida experienced what might be the closest to the fictitious futuristic scenario in U.S. history. According to the National Advocates for Pregnant Women site, a lawyer was appointed to her soon-to-be born at home child and a cesarean ordered by the court. She was forcibly and violently removed from her home and taken to the hospital for unwanted, unnecessary surgery.
    BradenIsMySon

Comment by BradenIsMySon (original poster) at 4:43 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• yeah..i will have to say that it is fiction also..i think its bad what happend with all the women that have really been sent to a trial..thats crazy..doctors are becoming greedy and want their money i guess. Then you gotta think..if they werent looking out for the unborn baby and something did happen...the mothers would be blaming the doctors.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 5:07 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• The only reason the second lady was forced..was because she wanted to try a VBAC and the hospital didn't do them and midwives aren't allowed. She was not truly in danger and no doctor said she shouldn't have one...only that they didn't do them and they preferred her to have it there and not try at home. She went on to have 3 kids and twins vaginally by moving to a different state.
    BradenIsMySon

Comment by BradenIsMySon (original poster) at 7:18 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• it's just fiction, like the divinci code, just a creative "what if". no homing devices will ever be implanted into the uterus.
    aliishott2

Answer by aliishott2 at 4:38 PM on Sep. 7, 2010