Leaving him home alone?

My oldest son, who is going to be 10 in January, is wanting to stay at home by himself after school instead of going to a sitters or daycare. He would only be home alone for an hour. What do you ladies think? Is this a good idea??? He is responsible, and he knows not to use the stove unless I am around to help him. And he would most likely watch TV until I got home. I am kind of torn... Is he old enough???

mistical_me

Asked by mistical_me at 4:49 PM on Sep. 7, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• Depends on hima and how comfortable you are with it...I have a just turned 10 yo who has been compaining about doing things like shopping and errands with me. So I'm starting to work on letting him stay home by himself. He's a good kid and I think I can trust him.
    Finkette

Answer by Finkette at 5:05 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• It all depends on the child. If you believe he is then I think it is fine. Sorry for the ambiguous answer but every child is different.
    leah_rai

Answer by leah_rai at 4:50 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• my mom started leaving me alone at 10 or 11 for short periods of time so its up to you if you think he is mature enough.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 4:51 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• My son was old enough at 9. I went over everything we could for weeks beforehand and I made a binder of useful info we went over as well.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 4:54 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• If he can use a phone, knows your number and 911, your address and home phone number, and you don't think he'll burn the house down, go for it! It's more upon the child's maturity than it is their age.
    Annabel1809Lee

Answer by Annabel1809Lee at 4:55 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• I would allow him. My neighbors son is a latch key kid. I would allow my son but, he is only 8. It depends on the child.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 4:55 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• I don't think 10 is old enough for a child to be by himself at home and in some places I'm not sure if it's even legal. Every situation is different.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:58 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• I know I was left alone at 10, and never managed to burn the house down. I was babysitting other children at 11 years old, and was successful enough that most of my sitters recommended other families to sit for as well. If he is responsible, just make sure he has your contact info, and knows to call 9-1-1 in an emergency, and he should be fine. Good luck!
    BisketLiss

Answer by BisketLiss at 5:02 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• He has a prepaid cell phone and we went over all the numbers in it. He knows about 911, and has every number he would need. We also have a friend that will drive by the apartment to check on him. I am nervous, but I trust that he will be JUST fine!
    mistical_me

Comment by mistical_me (original poster) at 5:08 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• Try leaving him while you are at the store- that's how we "tested" out our boys. I had a list of house rules posted- esp. since I did not want them having anyone in the house while we were gone. You know him best & if he's capable of this responsibility. I was nervous going on to this phase, but believe me, it's better than the "learning to drive" phase! Good luck.
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 5:12 PM on Sep. 7, 2010