is it bad to keep going to the er if i dont feel any baby movements?

mauricellaf

Asked by mauricellaf at 5:04 PM on Sep. 7, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Before heading to the er, I'd try some things to make sure the baby is ok...what works for me is drinking a little bit of soda or eating something sweet and/or putting an ice pack on my belly and waiting to see if she kicks...I only do this if it's been more than say 5 hours without ANY movement. If that doesn't work after an hour, then call the dr and advise them that it's been 6 hours with no movement and caffeine/sugar and cold isn't working to get the baby going and see if they want you to head in. Too many er trips can become costly if you don't have insurance and if you do have insurance, the insurance company can actually start denying coverage after so many trips. Just try to relax and remember that baby's have lazy days too.
    jazi1105

Answer by jazi1105 at 5:12 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• Depending on how far along you are, baby movements will come and go. Baby may be sleeping, might be in a comfortable position, etc. If you are nearing your due date, remember that baby is taking up your entire uterus, and doesn't have much room to move. Contact your ob/gyn and ask whether they want you to go to the ER or not. Multiple ER visits just get expensive, especially if they have to do an ultrasound each time. Good luck!
    BisketLiss

Answer by BisketLiss at 5:07 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• i wouldn't go to the ER honestly, because i never even felt my son move until around 21 weeks, and then i would feel him some days and not others.
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 5:08 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• how far along are you?
    lissapfa

Answer by lissapfa at 5:06 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• How far along are you? You should call your midwife or OB before going to the ER.
    Courtney610

Answer by Courtney610 at 5:07 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• Depends on how far along you are. Drink some mt dew and lay still. The baby usually doesn't move when you are active since it lulls them to sleep.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 5:07 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• When was the last time you felt movement? How often do you normally feel movement and when did you start feeling movement?
    Courtney610

• Dont know what your insurance is like, but they may not cover it. Try putting headphones on your belly & play classical music. My 3rd child was positioned in a tough place, so whenever I wanted to feel her move, I did that & it worked like a charm.
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 5:08 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• Honestly, if you're neurotic about something going wrong (like I was during my pregnancy), I'd highly recommend buying or renting a doppler. That way, you can check for the heartbeat whenever you want, to reassure yourself. Going to the ER every time you don't feel your baby move is a bit excessive. Especially since they tend to sleep when you're awake and moving around...
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 5:10 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• Its just a waste of your time and the Dr's time. Babies move sometimes, sometimes they dont....and you are still fairly early along in your pregnancy to feel consistent movement!

Try this trick before you hop in the car.....lay on your left side VERY still.....eat some chocolate.....lay still.....you SHOULD feel some movement soon...the caffeine in the chocolate stimulates the baby.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 5:11 PM on Sep. 7, 2010