Babies Encyclopedia: What are some ways for my significant other to bond with the baby if I breastfeed?

CafeMom Team will be posting Baby Encyclopedia questions in the Babies Category from Tuesday till Friday of this week. For every question you answer, you'll be entered to win one of the $25 Gap Gift Cards that we're giving away each day!

But there's a catch... only "real" answers will be entered to win the $25 Gap Gift Card. If you do not have tested advice or an informed opinion on the topic, please wait to answer the next question. There will be plenty of opportunities to enter the contest.

We are using these questions to create a mom-tested resource for new and expecting parents, so try to use proper grammar, punctuation, and spelling when writing your answers.

Read Official Rules.

CafeMom Team

Asked by CafeMom Team at 5:09 PM on Sep. 7, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Dad bonds by bathing, diapering, talking to the baby, singing to the baby, anything that is interactive.

Answer by gdiamante at 5:15 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• He can give her a bottle of expressed milk, or take over any of the other baby care duties. My husband loves to just hold our daughter after our other kids go to sleep so I can go for a walk to "get away"

Answer by missanc at 5:21 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• My DH reads to our LO and brushes her hair.
    liss05

Answer by liss05 at 5:25 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• reading, rocking to sleep, reading to her, feed her, play with her, bathe her
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 5:36 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• You can have them do skin-to-skin, have him read to the baby, have him cuddle him/her, take them for walks, and you can even have him carry the baby in a sling.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 5:37 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• I breastfed all my kids. Their dad would burp them, change them or just rock them to sleep. Your SO can read to your baby or sing (even if he isn't a good singer, your baby won't care!)
    nmmama09

Answer by nmmama09 at 5:49 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• For him to enjoy feeding time i pumped so he was able to feed her too. Then when she was older he help fed her baby food. Along with that he did everything I did so him bonding with her was not a problem.
    mekarevell

Answer by mekarevell at 6:11 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• pump and let the dad feed the baby too. He can also put the baby to sleep and give the baby a bath.
    amymartinez0214

Answer by amymartinez0214 at 6:20 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• First, find some information for him to read up on so he has an understand of the things he wants to do. Like warming the milk, when is hot too hot? Why wash the bottle in hot water? What kinds of lotions can I put on my baby? How long do I have to burp? What if the milk is gone and baby wants more? Write the information down, like a reference book. This way when he's nervious, has a brain freeze, and you're not available, he'll have the needed answers. This way he'll have more confidence in what he's doing & not so fearful. In the morning after you feed your baby let the baby lay on daddy's chest near his heart. The baby will get familar with it & his Dad's smell. Since Dad is in the resting mode, he won't have to worry about how to hold it or drop it the first time. This will help him ease into his roll while you get to dress. The way our child is presented to us the first time makes all the difference in the world. Enjoy
    Prayerpartner

Answer by Prayerpartner at 6:27 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• with my first son i brestfed him exclusively but when huubby would get home from work he would carry him. he would lay down on the be and just put him on top of his chest and to this day my son is 2yr od he gets on the bed and he just puts his head on his chst and he randomly falls asleep or when his very moody he tends to calm down when he is by hubby. we would play with him as much as posible sometimes he would bathe him. they are very attached to each other
    Alejandra10

Answer by Alejandra10 at 6:34 PM on Sep. 7, 2010