• In the Spotlight:

Babies Encyclopedia:How can I help my baby's siblings bond with her?

CafeMom Team will be posting Baby Encyclopedia questions in the Babies Category from Tuesday till Friday of this week. For every question you answer, you'll be entered to win one of the $25 Gap Gift Cards that we're giving away each day!

But there's a catch... only "real" answers will be entered to win the $25 Gap Gift Card. If you do not have tested advice or an informed opinion on the topic, please wait to answer the next question. There will be plenty of opportunities to enter the contest.

We are using these questions to create a mom-tested resource for new and expecting parents, so try to use proper grammar, punctuation, and spelling when writing your answers.

Read Official Rules.

CafeMom Team

Asked by CafeMom Team at 5:10 PM on Sep. 7, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It depends on how old they are. My 9 and 10 year olds love to feed my little one, they are also learning to change her diaper and they've always been great "entertainers". For younger ones, just bringing a diaper when needed or snuggling together while mom reads them both a book are ideas.

Answer by missanc at 5:23 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• My DS takes his little sister to his play area and plays near her and make up stories for her it's rather sweet.
    liss05

Answer by liss05 at 5:32 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• Before my nephew was born, my sister took my niece to a "Big brothers and sisters" class. They really made the kids feel special, and told them a lot about what it was really going to be like when their new sibling arrived. It got my niece so excited to see her little brother. Also, my sister kind of made it so that my niece thought that he was HER baby too, not just my sister's. She not only has bonded with her little brother, but she now helps my sister take care of him.
    DereksBabyMomma

Answer by DereksBabyMomma at 6:05 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• We found out that we needed to make sure our son was getting quality time when our baby came home. When people came to visit we made sure they gave him attention as well. We also asked if he'd like to help us take care of her since she couldn't. We'd give him the choice so he didn't feel he had to or was forced to, which would have made him resent her. We also took turns taking him somewhere, even if it was only for a walk around the block. Then we'd have a family nite by making popcorn or cookies together with him while baby slept. Once he was secure in knowing we didn't love him any less or want him around, he volunteered to help take care of her. He even tells us when its time to change the diaper! LOL
    Prayerpartner

Answer by Prayerpartner at 6:14 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• Let them be involve with dressing the baby, feeding, playing, singing to the baby and holding them with help. I wouldnt' let them help with diaper changes unless they were the same sex( to keep from explaining the different body parts).
    mekarevell

Answer by mekarevell at 6:16 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• yeah i would say depending on what age they are my oldest son is 2 yr old and the baby i 6 months old . from the momment when i came to from the hospital i made sure my oldest son was as big of a part as possible i would get m to bring the baby his diapers and sometimes i would just tell him to keep an eye on baby to make sure he was ok ( ofcourse i was there too but just so he could get close to baby) he would kiss him as much as possible and now that he is older i put him on his tummy on a mat on the floor and let my other son make funny faces at him or play with him they love each other
    Alejandra10

Answer by Alejandra10 at 6:30 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• we like to snuggle and read together. i also have the baby "talk" to my son (in a high pitch voice i do lol) and he loves it!
    jessica1219

Answer by jessica1219 at 6:58 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• My 7 year old bonded with his baby sister immediately. We bought him big brother books, and explained how delicate babies are and it won't take too long before she does more than just sleep and eat. We included him in almost everything baby related. We even celebrated on big brothers eve (the night before the c-section).
    queen.bee

Answer by queen.bee at 7:32 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• It would depend on the sibling age. By allowing to help a little would be good but also remember not to give all your attention to newborn as it might created hostility toward the newborn. 5 Tips for helping Siblings and Baby Bond

musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 7:44 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• Sometimes it helps to have them "help" with the baby. It does help if you don't always put the baby's needs before the older kids. Like saying "Wait, baby, I'm getting your sister a glass of juice".
    L.A.F.outloud

Answer by L.A.F.outloud at 8:28 PM on Sep. 7, 2010