Vitamin D & Iron

My bloodwork came back low on vitamin D and iron.
Has anyone had this diagnosis?
Do you have any good ways to get some sunshine, cook salmon, or other iron/vitamin D rich food?

txdaniella

Asked by txdaniella at 5:14 PM on Sep. 7, 2010 in Health

• Make sure you take Vitamin C when you take your iron because it helps with absorption. Also, supplementing with coconut oil (in your cooking or ingesting it by the spoonful) will help with absorption of all nutrients. You can take unsulphured black strap molasses to increase your iron intake as well (I take a tsp in the am and another at dinner).
    FootballMom85

Answer by FootballMom85 at 6:52 AM on Sep. 8, 2010

• Found in fish and dairy products fortified with vitamin D. Also: Eggs, butter, milk, oatmeal, salmon, sardines, sweet potatoes, and tuna. And, vitamin D can be converted from the action of sunlight on the skin! Also OTC Vitamin D3 absorbs more easily into the system.

Iron: Found in eggs, clams, fish, liver, meat, poultry, dark green leafy vegetables, enriched breads and cereals, brewer's yeast, dates, dulse, egg yolks, kidney and lima beanss, lentils, millet, parsley, peaches, pears, dried prunes, pumpkins, raisins, rice and wheat bran, sesame seeds and soybeans.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 5:22 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• I can't take vit d supplements so I have to get it from milk and sunshine. Ten minutes is all that is required in the sun so I walk for five min out and five min back home with no sunscreen. If' I know I will be out longer I put on sunscreen. I get my iron from cooking in a cast iron skillet. I do eat salmon.

Answer by admckenzie at 5:28 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• @ admckenzie, why can't you take the supplements? I didn't know cooking in a cast iron skillet seriously would add healthy iron to the diet, wow. I may have to order one.
    txdaniella

Comment by txdaniella (original poster) at 9:54 PM on Sep. 7, 2010