Babies Encyclopedia: What is the appropriate age or time to give a baby a blanket at bedtime?

CafeMom Team will be posting Baby Encyclopedia questions in the Babies Category from Tuesday till Friday of this week. For every question you answer, you'll be entered to win one of the $25 Gap Gift Cards that we're giving away each day!

But there's a catch... only "real" answers will be entered to win the $25 Gap Gift Card. If you do not have tested advice or an informed opinion on the topic, please wait to answer the next question. There will be plenty of opportunities to enter the contest.

We are using these questions to create a mom-tested resource for new and expecting parents, so try to use proper grammar, punctuation, and spelling when writing your answers.

Read Official Rules.

CafeMom Team

Asked by CafeMom Team at 5:38 PM on Sep. 7, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• When they are born, they can be swaddled. By the time they can kick out and roll freely, they can have a very light blanket. By one, I would say you are safe to give any blanket.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 5:42 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• I felt safe putting my son to bed with a blanket when I knew he was able to pull it off of his face, and able to get untangled if it got wrapped around him. It's different with every baby.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 5:51 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• We always packed a blanket to take with us to the hospital... So from day one my children got a blanket...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 5:54 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• The baby was brought home in a blanket. We noticed they were aware of the different textures by the way they held on to the blanket or pushed it away, especially at nursing time. One thing that help from getting it twisted was to take the ends and use those snaps that hold it secure under the matress. (just like our sheets) Babies find confort from their blanket and use it until they're about 4, sometimes five.
    Prayerpartner

Answer by Prayerpartner at 6:06 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• My daughter had a blanket from birth. she was swaddled in it until a couple weeks old and then she had atleast a thin blanket I just didnt pull it up to her face.
    amymartinez0214

Answer by amymartinez0214 at 6:18 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• From day one with the receiving blanket and the heavier ones after they are a year old, when they can kick them off.
    mekarevell

Answer by mekarevell at 6:19 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• From birth. All 5 of my kids were swaddled in a quilt that belonged to my husband when he was a baby from the time they were born. Then they each used it for the first year of their life. At first they were swaddled in it and then we would just tuck it around them. They each carried it until they got too big or we needed to pass it to the next baby. Our 8 week old sleeps with it every night right now.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 6:19 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• when they are infants hey can have a banket but you need to saddle them or you cn put it around the matress so that the baby cannot put it on his face. i still do that to my 6 month old because he starts moving his feet adn im scared he can put it in his face my 2 yearold already has his ownblanket but still i like toput it underneath his matress by where his feet are at so he can put it all the way on his face
    Alejandra10

Answer by Alejandra10 at 6:27 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• At birth if the climate permits. The blanket will be draped from the waist level. Normally a newborn can't get tangled in a blanket.
    Godswk

Answer by Godswk at 7:28 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• Depending on the babies development, about 6 months of age is old enough for a blanket.
    queen.bee

Answer by queen.bee at 7:28 PM on Sep. 7, 2010