I just found out that dear step-mom has a life insurance policy on my child? Im totally freaking out. Do you think Im over reacting?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:28 AM on Oct. 14, 2008 in Relationships

• If it's just to cover funeral expenses and she has them out on ALL children assuming she has some of her own I wouldn't be concerned. If not, then ask her what for? Is it a fund you can pay into for cover and still receive a benefit if you cash it in later in life. My parents had one of those on my brother and I and when we hit 21 they cancelled it, cashed it in and gave us the $$.
    Waxing_Lyrical

Answer by Waxing_Lyrical at 4:33 AM on Oct. 14, 2008

• Are there other grandkids? Does she have policies for them as well? What type of life insurance is it? How did you find out about it? Did she tell you?

The most likely scenario is she is trying to provide some security of a sort for your daughter...which I wouldn't think is something to freak out over. However, with the little detail you give, it's really difficult, if not impossible, to give a good answer to you.
    jespeach

Answer by jespeach at 4:38 AM on Oct. 14, 2008

• Why are you freaking out?? If the policy is just for a few thousand I don't see why it's a big deal. Ask her about it.
    roxy85

Answer by roxy85 at 4:44 AM on Oct. 14, 2008

• We always get those offers of insurance for the kids....and I always kind of felt uneasy about them for no good reason really! In fact, I think lots of people get the insurance which has a cash value as time goes on, as more of a savings account type of things for the child. It could just be something she does in her family for the kids....I don't think it has any negative meaning really. I think it is meant as a nice thing...unless you know more about this woman and she has a history of evil!
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 8:31 AM on Oct. 14, 2008

• I thought that you had to get permission from either the person, or the person's parent if they are under 18. I don't know that her policy would even be legal. If you think about it, I can't go out and get an insurance policy on you because then I could just go and kill you and collect the money (just an example LOL). This type of thing happened all the time when life insurance was first introduced to the public. People were getting policies on the people that they didn't like and then killing them for the money.
    mscottsmom

Answer by mscottsmom at 9:02 AM on Oct. 14, 2008

• My ex has life insurance on my son, he hasn't got any rights to him. But, I don't see a problem with it. You would have to give her a copy of the death certificate should something happen to your child. Is she married to the child's father or your stepmother. If she is married to your child's father I wouldn't worry. Its probably just enough to pay for a funeral. Remind her that she can help pay for funeral expenses (if the child dies) if she is going to carry life insurance on your kid.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 9:11 AM on Oct. 14, 2008

• Yes, why wouldn't you want her to?
    Dannee

Answer by Dannee at 10:00 AM on Oct. 14, 2008

• Our in-laws have an insurance policy on our daughter. It's to cover funeral expenses. We have one of our own, but they do it out of kindness for all the grandkids. You should be glad she cares enough to do so.
    StarLee

Answer by StarLee at 10:23 AM on Oct. 14, 2008

• My inlaws have them set up for both of our children and I am not concerned it is because the "just in case, GOD forbid" situation. And I was called both times to give permission. I would thank them because funerals are expensive and so on and GOD forbid anything happens that is one less thing you would have to handle by yourself.
    Izzyscrazymom

Answer by Izzyscrazymom at 10:58 AM on Oct. 14, 2008

• Yes it is legal you can take out a life insurance policy with those small little companies the big companies they do exams and ask a lot of questions.Just do not freak out god forbid something happens to your child they are taken care of for the funeral expenses.
    monica277

Answer by monica277 at 11:19 AM on Oct. 14, 2008