Transitioning from cosleeping to bedside Pack N Play

Any tips? My son is 7 weeks, and we'd like to transition him soon. He's still never slept in his Pack N Play, and the few times we've tried laying him in it, he immediately started crying. We've thought of putting our clothes from the day in there, so it smells like us and using a heating pad before putting him in (taking it out before he goes in) so it's warm. I've tried putting him in when he's asleep, but he wakes right up and fusses. Thanks for the help! =)

musicpisces

Asked by musicpisces at 4:28 AM on Oct. 14, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Why does he have to sleep in a pak n play? CoSleeping is healthy and natural and reduces the risk of sids.
    navy-wife

Answer by navy-wife at 10:15 AM on Oct. 14, 2008

• My daughter is the same way sort of. She is now 4 months old. I never had her sleep with me but with the transition from the basnett to her crib was hard. I just had to make sure she was okay and let her cry for like 5 min then go in there and hold her and put her back make the time you wait get longer and eventually she learned she was going to have to get used to sleeping in there. I know it sounds mean but if the cry when you sit them down and stop instantly when you pick them up its time for them to learn that they dont need help all the time. It has worked wonders for us and they sleep longer threw the night. Hope I could help if you have any questions just ask. good luck
    kaylie_08

Answer by kaylie_08 at 8:46 AM on Oct. 14, 2008

• I had the same problem and what I did was still let my son sleep with me in the bed, just farther away. I wouldn't let him sleep so close that he could touch me and then one day he just didn't want to sleep with people anymore. It made the transition easy on me and him. I missed my little cuddle monster. We also had a pack n play with the bed on the top and that made it really easy to switch him to his crib a few months later. Good luck
    BabyBreyen

Answer by BabyBreyen at 10:41 AM on Oct. 14, 2008

• Putting your clothes in with him is a good idea but becareful that it's something that would be safe for him. When my son was a baby and slept at my parents I would send my sweater I wore around the house for him to sleep in. Worked like a charm. Now my daughter who's almost 3 get scared at night and I put one of my sweaters on her and wrap the arms around her so she can sleep in a mommy hug. That works nicely too.
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 12:36 PM on Oct. 14, 2008

• there is a new product on the market called the magic sleepsuit that helps babies sleep better and longer. Wheat often times wakes them are twitches - themagic sleepsuit helps muffle thos twitches so the baby does not wake. Check it out at www.magicsleepsuit.com
    Anonymous

• At 7 weeks- there should not be a problem for the baby to transition. It sounds like it is going to be more of an issue for you then the baby. Why are you moving the baby out of the bed anyway? If your ready to move the baby- start w/naptimes for a few days then go to bedtime too. Don't backstep once they are out - don't bring them back in. I co-slept with my kids too- thats the hardest part.
    litstargazer

Answer by litstargazer at 2:02 PM on Oct. 14, 2008

• Especially if he's nursing it is nice to keep him in bed with you longer. But it sounds like you have already made your decision. If you want to encourage him to sleep in the pack n play, when you put him down in it awake and he starts to fuss, stay with him while he fusses, as long as he is not outright crying, rub his back, sing, just let him know you are there. Don't pick him up if he is just fussing, you will give him the impression that it is not ok for him to be in there. Just keep in mind he will not really be ready for sleep training until about 6 months old. It doesn't really become a manipulative behavior until then. If he is crying now, it's because he really needs you, even if you don't know why.
    juicepluskids

Answer by juicepluskids at 6:46 PM on Oct. 14, 2008