What is an easy, inexpensive meal that even a ten year old could make for dinner?

I don't cook. My husband will tell you I burned the salad! He'll also call 911 and have them on stand-by because I can only tell when something is done when I set the smoke alarm off. I've burned water, melted a pan; you get the picture. My husband has been cooking for 30 yrs. For our Aniversary, I want to make him something. Any ideas what I can put together thats easy? I'm on oxygen & in a wheelchair; sort of limited. But maybe my caregivers can help a little in preparing it...Suggestions plz??? I need your help...

Prayerpartner

Asked by Prayerpartner at 5:58 PM on Sep. 7, 2010 in Food & Drink

• spaghetti!! and garlic toast
    BradensMom1026

Answer by BradensMom1026 at 6:00 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• i love to cook but if there isn't time for me to actually cook wal mart has these dinner bags by stouffers, voiala, or tgi fridays. voiala and stouffers are the cheepest, they're like dollars a bag and you make them on the stove and they really are like a home cooked dinner, so yummy and no one could tell you made it in 10 minutes from a bag
    aliishott2

Answer by aliishott2 at 6:05 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• 3 dollars*
    aliishott2

• Chicken & Rice.

About 3-4 cups (you can increase this to make more food, also depends on your preferred sauce to rice ratio) prepared rice, follow the directions on the package, either minute or regular.
    About 2 chicken boneless, skinless breast halves (trim off the fat, etc) - cubed.
    1 can of cream of mushroom soup
    1 can of cheddar cheese soup.
    2-3 cups shredded cheddar cheese.
    (Optional) cubed fresh mushrooms

Mix the soups together (do NOT add water or milk) in a bowl, add 2/3 of the cheese, all of the mushrooms and diced chicken. Mix well. Add in the prepared rice, and mix. (Add salt and pepper as desired).

Dump the mix into a baking or casserole dish (thin baking dishes are better than deep casserole dishes) and spread evenly (you may need to put it in more than one pan.

Spread extra cheese on top.

Bake at about 350F for 35-45 minutes (or until the cheese on top is nicely browned).
    coder_chick

Answer by coder_chick at 6:07 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• hmm..best suggestin? go buy already made salad and a bottle of dressing..then ask the caregivers help you prepare spagettie in a slow cooker.. it's an easy thing that takes alot to mess up!

http://busycooks.about.com/od/precookedmeatballrecipes/r/crockspaghetti.htm

theres a sit for one..takes a while too cook but its pretty much throw in a pot and done :) I would skip the garlic toast lol..but if u wasnt to buy an already ready one that u just have to pop in the oven for 10 minutes TOPS..and INVEST IN A TIMER :D. Good luck sweetie
    SweetPoison

Answer by SweetPoison at 6:08 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• Taco Soup

.5 lb ground beef (ground turkey or no meat at all)
    1 can of beans (your favorite bean, kidney, black or pinto are recommended)
    1 can of corn
    1 can diced tomatoes
    1 can sliced olives
    1 jar of your favorite salsa
    1 package taco seasoning

If you're including meat, scramble/brown it first. Dump everything in a big pot and bring it to a simmer.

Serve with your favorite taco toppings: ie. shredded cheese, sour cream, guacamole. We usually eat it with tortilla chips.

To make the soup thicker or thinner either drain or don't drain the liquids off the vegetables (I recommend at least keeping the juice off the corn or it will be too dry).

I got this recipe from my friend, she says you can add or skip just about anything. The only real way to ruin this is to burn it, which takes effort. It's also really good with fresh diced onions and bell peppers.
    coder_chick

Answer by coder_chick at 6:12 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• spaghetti!!
    jessica1219

Answer by jessica1219 at 6:14 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• enchiladas are super easy and cheap- i just made that for dinner tonight
    elizabiza

Answer by elizabiza at 7:00 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• Sandwiches and chips
    KARRIEMARIE

Answer by KARRIEMARIE at 7:13 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• Coder Chick, I just had to laugh when I read your. Why? Because I gave the same exact one to a woman who wanted a meal in a crock pot! I quit doing it because with my AADD, I'd forget about it and it would become all dried out & burnt! On the other hand, your Taco soup just might be the one! My husband likes the stuff and I don't have to worry about when its done. I'm going to use it! It may not be for the Aniversary dinner because when its too hot here, we just don't want soup. Thank you for your help and great suggestion!!!!
    Prayerpartner

Comment by Prayerpartner (original poster) at 7:16 PM on Sep. 7, 2010