bipolar?

So if bipolar is defined by the manic episodes, is there something else that is defined by the intermittent depressed episodes?

If you are bipolar (not your friend or family but YOU), do you ever catch yourself overreacting and responding badly for no apparent reason. And feel like the response was not really in your control? I don't know if this even makes sense, but is that associated with bipolar or something else?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:58 PM on Sep. 7, 2010 in Health

• You sound like me. I was on a host of different anti-depressants, one even shut down my liver... None of them worked... The ONLY thing that ever helped me was Lithium, but it's very expensive. Today I am not on any medication. I prefer to control my issues with diet and meditation... It's been a much better option for me!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 7:29 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• Bipolar consists of both manic and depressed episodes.
    SabrinaBean

Answer by SabrinaBean at 6:05 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• BiPolar is NOT defined by manic episodes... There are different types of BPD. And each of those types has different symptoms.

BPD1 - Requires at LEAST one full blown manic episode during a lifetime that can not be attributed to other factors. May not experience depression ever.
    BPD2 - Requires at LEAST one full blown depressive episode during a lifetime that can not be attributed to other factors. May not experience Mania ever.
    Cyclothymic Disorder - Requires multiple depressive and hypo-manic episodes which are not extreme enough to qualify for BPD1 or BPD2 diagnosis.
    BPDNOS - Requires manic and/or depressive episodes that can't qualify under the other categories or unipolar depression.

Now, what you are describing COULD be either BPD1 or Cyclothymic Disorder. However, I have BPD2, and rarely have any mania. If you are believing it's a form of BPD, talk to a doctor...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 6:07 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• I agree with SabrinaBean... you have highs and lows with bipolar and yes, you do and say things that you feel is not in your control.
    lioness3e

Answer by lioness3e at 6:07 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• If a doctor is not possible, or money is tight. Spend $5 and get yourself a copy of BiPolar Disorder for Dummies... It helped me IMMENSELY to understand my illness and helped my family and I learn to live with it.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 6:09 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• Money isn't really much of a concern. Throughout my teens I was in counseling, etc and on all kinds of different anti-depressants. I've been off all of it for YEARS, and overall have felt SO much better off the pills than I ever did on them. I really think it boils down to I'm absolutely TERRIFIED of being on those kinds of pills again. The with drawls and side effects were HORRIBLE for me.

I talked to my OB when I was in last about some of it, and he gave me lexapro to be taken as needed for PMDD, but I've been too scared to even try it.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 6:17 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• What kind of diet changes make a difference for you? Diet changes I'm more than willing to explore.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 7:33 PM on Sep. 7, 2010