As a SAHM how do you keep from going insane and felling completely unfilled?

Not bashing. Really trying to figure it out because I am going insane and feel unfilled.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:05 PM on Sep. 7, 2010 in General Parenting

• I do things that I can take my kids along with me. I co-run a Dar a Luz Network chapter, teach childbirth education classes, attend La Leche League and stay active in the birth community here. I also read a lot, books my husband brings home so we have stuff to talk about. I do think that every mom needs a cause... helping women have better births is my cause. What are you passionate about? Is there a way to inject some of that into your life? I want to eventually be a midwife, but I can't be the kind of mother I want to be if I start on that now... so I find ways to stay involved without committing too much time to it, you know?
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 6:09 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• I'm right there with you. It's a lot better for me now that I only have one child during the day. But I go crazy too. I went from being active duty military for 12 years to SAHM. It's been a rough transition.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 6:09 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• I know how you feel. I feel that way too at times. I'm not bashing at all...but I need a break at times and wish I could have it. Doing everything from cleaning/cooking/handling a child...it's over welling. I'm currently looking for a evening job so I can have my break.

If that makes you feel any better :)
    Chell.o_0

Answer by Chell.o_0 at 6:10 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• As a SAHM you have to really find out what you like to do. Usually that means within a hobby. For me I like to sew, make soap, read when the kids are down for their nap, and my favorite thing to do is photograph my kids. All I do is sit on the floor and snap pictures of them while they play. Or in my daughter's case try to get the camera. It's important to have hobbies regardless, but especially when you're a SAHM. That way when the kids are quiet, sleeping, or otherwise you can sit back and do what you enjoy.

If you're feeling unfulfilled then that usually stems from more then just being at home all day. Try to find a hobby that can make you money if you're skilled at it. Like Knitting scarves, pottery, photographs, etc. Then you can sell these crafts on Etsy.com or in your neighborhood's Farmer's Market. There are lots of ways to feel useful, but you have to be willing to look for something.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 6:11 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• Well, I think some people have a harder time than others. It does get trying sometimes, and it takes a lot of patience. It's honestly not bad to me. I love being a SAHM, but there are days where it's rough not having a real break. I'm a mommy 100% of the time, lol. Try to get out and do things. Staying in the house too much can get depressing.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 6:11 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• yup me too.
    i start school next week for my bachelors THANK GOD i took last semester off so i CANNOT wait to get back in to school and im looking for a job so ...
    being a sahm is not for me.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 6:07 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• I have a great network of friends that are all SAHM and they keep me sane. I do miss my job and paycheck. I just try to stay involved in the community and other activities
    Annacka

Answer by Annacka at 6:17 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• Feeling! I hate when I make dumb mistakes like that!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 6:06 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• I started writing when I was 19 and it made me glad now I have a production company out of it. I am also in school.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 6:19 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• I agree with the other moms here, you have to find a hobby to do while naps are happening, or when your husband can watch your kids while you take a break. I have me time pretty much every day, even if it's just for a couple minutes. When my son naps, I use the free time to do house stuff, but I also use that time to check email, look at CM, read books, etc. When he's up, we occasionally get out of the house, even if just to go buy diapers at the store. Taking a walk with your kids can help, getting some sunshine and fresh air is hugely important for your sanity. Having a chance to go out with friends on occasion without the kids might help. Just think about what made you happy before you had kids, and try to incorporate something into your new life. You don't need to spend hours each day on it, but little amounts can and will make you feel better. Good luck mama!
    kathria

Answer by kathria at 6:20 PM on Sep. 7, 2010