i want to hear about your ahha moment...

if you didnt have faith or had lost faith in your religion (whatever it may be) what brought you back to it? how old were you?

shay1130

Asked by shay1130 at 6:12 PM on Sep. 7, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I prefer to see the moment I decided to leave the Catholic church as my "aha" moment, heh.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 6:20 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• I never didn't have faith, so I don't know that this counts. But I was being raised in a faith I was not comfortable in... When I was 6 I found a book in my school's library that allowed me to understand that I was not alone in what I believed to be right. And from then on I firmly decided to follow my heart, regardless of what others thought or felt - I'm 27 now, and I've never once looked back! My beliefs came to me naturally and have yet to steer me wrong.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 6:28 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• There wasn't really ever an "Aha" moment. It just never made complete logical sense to me. I tried for many years to pretend I believed because that is what was expected of me but I never did so i just stopped lying to myself and decided to be honest with myself instead.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 7:11 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• I have had several different ahha moments. One came when I realized that the bible was up for interpretation. With that came the idea that a "perfect" god would make his rules very clear and leave no room for debate. From there I started searching forthings that matched up to what I knew in my heart to be true. I am still searching for things beliefs and ideas that fit. I am a contiunally evolving person.
    -Ashely
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 7:26 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• I never had it to begin with. Religion was forced down my throat as a kid. I was forced to play along to save my own neck for over zealous parents. Once I was free of the nest, I never looked back. I'm very analytical and I can't accept the concept of religious dietys and beleifs in our current day technologically advanced society.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 8:02 AM on Sep. 8, 2010

• First day of college (aka first day of attending a secular educational institution since kindergarten). Met some "Earth Religion Practitioners" and the rest is history...
    MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 12:50 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• I have a debilitating condition called Meniere's Disease. A defect of the inner ear it causes excruciating attacks of vertigo, nausea, and vomitting. I lay on the floor of my house one night, unable to get up or move because of wave after wave of dizziness, crying, praying for someone--anyone--to make it stop. To give me some peace. No one answered. After a midnight trip to the emergency room, every iota of my religious feeling died. I set out to help myself--to get my disease under control. I have been an atheist for nearly 18 years and a witch for almost 13. I know that I don't have anyone to help me, except me. I found the knowlege I needed...in more ways than one.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 12:56 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• Is there such a thing, or is life a series of those moments. It is important to pay attention and realize that every day has its opportunities for those moments, but most of us are too caught up in "us" to notice. Pay more attention to others, keep your eyeballs turned outward, rather than inward. You will find many many moments that could be considred treasures.

KImberly deOliveira
    kimberlyann65

Answer by kimberlyann65 at 3:30 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• I was raised as a Jehovah's Witness and I left the organized religion when I was about 18. From then until 25 I led pretty much an agnostic life. Then one day my mom invited me to a camping trip that her church was hosting. By now she was a non-denominational Christian. I was hesitant but because it was my mother, I went. It was for 3 days and by the 2nd night, my heart was changed :-)
    mz_erica03

Answer by mz_erica03 at 7:23 PM on Nov. 2, 2010