Have you been educated?

IN regards to reading what non believers have written here time and time again....about how or why they believe how they do. Do you read it and walk away feeling you understand them more, or do you retain the idea that you had in the first place? Whether it be you believe them to be simply be "rebellious" or evil, or sinful, or hateful.
Do you WANT to understand non believers more, or do you wish to continue to believe the misconceptions regarding them?

sahmamax2

Asked by sahmamax2 at 6:19 PM on Sep. 7, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I find others' views fascinating and often enlightening on alternative ideas and religious choices. And while my own beliefs and values do not change I do not view those who think differently as deliberately "rebellious" or evil, or sinful, or hateful". I once held very different views to those I hold now [I'm one of Jehovah's Witnesses]. I just answer or not as I see fit and right and try not to get unecessarily emotional about it. If it helps anyone to see what I thought to share, then great. If it's been written for nothing, it's no matter personally. I still have what I have. We are all free to choose. (Micah 4:5)

jentl

Answer by jentl at 6:38 AM on Sep. 8, 2010

• Honestly, I don't think the two sides will ever understand each other. For the life of me, I can't understand why somebody could believe in some guy in the sky, and I'm sure a religious person could never understand why I don't.... The best we can hope for is a mutual "live and let live" attitude. If you want to believe in a god (ANY god), good for you. As long as you don't try to tell me what a horrible person I am, and how I'm going to hell for not believing, I really don't care.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 6:26 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• I always try to understand where others are coming from, even if I don't agree with their beliefs. I'm a huge fan of religious freedom and religious tolerance. I believe the ONLY way to find any peace is to be educated on the ideas and beliefs of others... So I devote a large portion of my time to educate myself and educate others...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 6:32 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• honestly..i am.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 6:26 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• asking if someone is ''educated'', after reading the way you described those with dissenting opinions about another's belief, is a bit belittling. if you learn something, you are educated. if you still hold your original opinion of what has been newly learned, you're simply choosing to be narrow-minded. you can be educated, and still be narrow-minded..believers or non-believers.IMO
    i understand other's beliefs (different from mine) once they are given. i can understand, and disagree. that's part of what makes everyone unique. if we all believed/thought/acted the same, the world would be boring..and there'd be no CM!! LOL!!
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 6:35 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• That all depends on what you mean by " non believers ". Too me a "non believer" would someone who is not Pagan.

Morgain

Answer by Morgain at 7:27 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• i am asking the questions i'm asking to get a better understanding
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 6:25 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• I still hold my original beliefs, but wow have I ever been exposed to things I never knew existed and have learned a lot. I've been educated, but I still stand firm in my beliefs. I was a bit shocked by many things I've read here, things I've never been exposed to in real life. Especially the blasphemy and downright hatred towards God and religion. I've often had my jaw drop by people's responses and posts here. I think it's good to know what's out there, though, my children will be growing up and living in this world, it it good to know what's out there beyond what I've personally been exposed to.
    AshleyBDG

Answer by AshleyBDG at 7:17 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• "It's ok shay, you don't have to worry about explaining yourself to me:) We are all entitled to question what we want and believe what we want!" I wish I could vote this answer up!!!! ;o)

Morgain

Answer by Morgain at 8:42 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• I am so curious on the answers to this one...
    MzGeorgiaPeach

Answer by MzGeorgiaPeach at 6:24 PM on Sep. 7, 2010