Please tell me this will pass quickly!

I have taken my son's binky cold turkey. He has been throwing massive fits over it for the past 2 weeks if he doesn't have it right away and the other night slapped me in the face b/c he was upset I put his binky up. Now its a non stop crying "mi-mi!!" (thats what he calls his binky) Granite I should have prob taken it a long time ago b/c he is 20 months old. But he is SO attached to it. Please tell me the screaming and crying for it passes quickly. I am about to cry just listening to him :( It breaks my heart to hear him so upset. :( I have taken all binkys I could find and put them up, even the thermometer binky is put up out of site. I am just a nervous wreck now :( He has a snuggle bear that he has had since he was a baby to soothe himself. If you have any advice please do share

leann74016

Asked by leann74016 at 6:30 PM on Sep. 7, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• OMG! I am going through the same thing with my 20 month old son! It makes me so sad when he runs around the house crying and calling "inky inky!"
    Brandi300

Answer by Brandi300 at 6:33 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• Oh and we took his away about 1 week ago. :(
    Brandi300

• oh no... :( I hope this doesn't last too long. It really does break my heart to hear him so upset
    leann74016

Comment by leann74016 (original poster) at 6:37 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• My son was absolutely addicted to his "sucks".... I started taking them away a couple of weeks ago, but let him still use one during his naps, and at night. Honestly, it went smooth as can be. I just told him his sucks are only for bed time, and he asked for them for the first couple of days, and that was it. In the morning, I would tell him "time to get up, give me your suck", and he'd spit it right out. After a week or so of that, I stopped giving it to him during naps, and then a week later, I took it away at night.

I think maybe your son is so upset because you made him go "cold turkey". Of course, at this point it would probably be a bad idea to give them back to him during naps, so you might just have to tough it out, sorry... :(
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 6:39 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• my son never got attached to a passy.... but he found one in his room the other day and i didnt know i was in there playing with him and i acted as if i was crying becuse he hit me and well he goes and gets the passy and brings it to me and trys sticking it in my mouth and i tell him eww nasty and he throws it down. but he is 18 months and throws fits all the time like this and doesnt even use the passy. so my guess could be it might pass on but terrrible twos are coming..e.veryone buckle down lol
    firstimemomm603

Answer by firstimemomm603 at 6:39 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• Me too! Good luck! hugs for you and baby!
    Brandi300

Answer by Brandi300 at 6:41 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• Our daughter used the pacifer and on her 2nd birthday we took it away without a tear. How we did it was gradual. We initially told her she was allowed to have it during nap time and night time only. Then as is got closer to her 2nd birthday we told her she was getting to be a big girl and when she turned 2 she would be done with it. On occasion I would try and distract her with other things and take it away during nap times. Sometimes it worked but I kept up with trying. As it got closer she depended on it less and less and we made sure all pacifiers were hidden except for the one. A couple days before her birthday we told her what a big girl she was and how she wouldn't need the pacifer anymore. Her birthday came, at this point she was not looking for the pacifer anymore. I got rid of every single pacifer and she did not ask for it ever again. Good luck...
    AmyLynn5398

Answer by AmyLynn5398 at 6:43 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• first of all you shouldnt just put them up because then you will be tempted to give them to him....THROW THEM AWAY! hes plenty old enough that you dont really have to deal with the fit. you CAN put him in his crib for a few minutes so he can calm down. he can understand i will get you out when your done screaming. i know ....my 15 month old understands this. a fit is thrown in your room only! i wlao hav emusic playing in her room to help her calm herself. she prefers the reagea channel on demand....but my other kids responded to country, dont give in mama.....the more times you give in the more he will think if he cries he will get his way. good luck!
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 6:59 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• I won't be giving in...i have worked daycare centers for a long time now and have seen the effects of kids who have them taken away then given back later..its so confusing. But its definitley hard for me to say the least.
    leann74016

Comment by leann74016 (original poster) at 7:05 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• throw them away my daughter did the same thing don't give in distract them with suger free candy pops!!

cielo1

Answer by cielo1 at 7:10 PM on Sep. 7, 2010