Fruit battles! Ideas needed!

How can I get my kids to eat fruit without a constant battle?! Ive tried disguising it as much as possible but they still kick up a fuss!

Sparkle-Mom

Asked by Sparkle-Mom at 6:47 PM on Sep. 7, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Put the fruit in front of them (cut up). If they eat it, they eat it. If they don't, they don't. Most of the time if they see their parent eating things daily they will.

Answer by louise2 at 6:51 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• My son is the same way. The only way I can get him to eat any type of fruit is to make smoothies with different types of frozen fruit, milk, honey, juice concentrate, and a banana. He loves them.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 6:51 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• Try Dole mixed fruit cups and put a dollop of whipped cream on top.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 6:54 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• I give my son vitimins on those days he wants to fuss about eating fruits or veggie...GL :)
    TezMoM

Answer by TezMoM at 6:59 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• What about juices that contain an assortment of them all mixed up like the fusion drinks. That way if you find one they like they will be getting many fruits all at once.
    CafeMochaMom1

Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 7:03 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• When my son was little I used to slice the fruit up and make fruit Kabobs for him and then I'd give him 2 or 3 different "dips" in cups... it was just different flavors of yogurt. He loved it and would eat it up every time!
    FeelinYummy

Answer by FeelinYummy at 7:22 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• When we go grocery shopping, I let my son pick out a fruit/veggie. It makes him feel involved and like he has some say. We also make smoothies and add fruit to yogurt, cereal and oatmeal. Oh and kids like to dip! I sometimes let him dip it in yogurt and peanut butter. I've never really had to disguise food, so I'm not much help there, sorry. I guess just add stuff here and there...blueberries in pancakes, applesauce in muffins, etc, but I'm sure you already tried all ofthat. Good luck.
    kksmomma1019

Answer by kksmomma1019 at 7:23 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• How about a yogurt dip, love the fruit kabob idea and you can cut out cookie shapes for watermelon, apples, etc. Personally, I just ate fruit in front of them and really enjoyed it, they always wanted whatever I was having that was any good! LOL
    MomIWant

Answer by MomIWant at 7:36 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• I usually just cut some fruit up and set it out on a plate where it's accessible. I do this around snack time, or at meal times when I'm cooking. (I nanny for 3 kids, plus my own, so I'm making meals for 4 most days, long process sometimes) I don't say anything, just put it out where they can reach it. More often than not, they smell the cooking, flock to the kitchen, and the fruit is gone by the time I'm done. I do the same thing with raw veggies. It usually works like a charm.
    Eviesmommy

Answer by Eviesmommy at 8:09 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• I like the idea of letting them pick out what kinds of fruits they want to try at the grocery store. That seems like it would work. If they get to pick it, they might like it more. We also will mash up fruit or blend it and then put it in the home made popsicle makers and then freeze it. My daughter loves to eat the popsicles she helped me make and they are nothing but fruit and fruit juices. We also buy green seedless grapes and freeze them. She loves to munch on those.
    Peajewel

Answer by Peajewel at 9:37 AM on Sep. 8, 2010