Burnt My Beautiful Table

I am so sad about this, and I apologize in advance if this is incoherent. I was making dinner, and I put a hot pot on the table. Well, I put the pot on two dish towels on the table. It led to a cloudy watermark thing, and I looked online for ways to fix it. I found out that ironing a towel over the spot removes the warped appearance. That worked great by the way. However, I left the iron on one spot for too long and it burnt the gloss covering. Now there's a raised burnt bump on my table. Is there anyway to repair this? I'd probably have to resurface the whole thing or something, huh? Or maybe I should pick at it and remove the burnt gloss, and then put some finish on it...

I'm so bummed. This was my formal dining room table, and it was the nicest thing my husband and I bought for our new house. It's going to be so hard to tell him that I ruined our table. I suck so much. :(

SMH2010

Asked by SMH2010 at 7:22 PM on Sep. 7, 2010 in Home & Garden

• Oh, hon, I feel for you. It will probably have to be resurfaced. Don't be too hard on yourself.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 7:25 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• I am so sorry. Find something beautiful that you can put over the spot. Don't stress. This is just a table. Something really horrible could have happened. This can be fixed or replaced. It will be a story to share with your grandchildren someday.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 7:31 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• That sounds like some thing I would do. I am so nutty sometimes. Once I put a pumpkin on my hard wood floor and the bottom rotted. The floor has a dark spot in that place for ever more. Don't fret, you can try steel wool to remove that nasty varnish use some tenured alcohol and in a small circular motion you should be able to clean the mess right up. Try to figure out the varnish to replace the spot. I wish you luck with that. Maybe try it on the underside to see if it matches.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 7:32 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• I totally understand. I just refinished an antique dining room table and messed it up. I had put too much poly on one spot and tried to brush it hard to get it smooth. The under layers came off and it was a mess.
    Now I have to start over and resand half of it all the way down and start again. My solution right now..... A table cloth. :-). I was so upset. I will keep it covered until next year when I can do it outside.
    You could try a very fine sanding over the spot. You may have to put some stain back on followed by polyurethane. At worst scenariio you will have to sand it down and restain and finish. You are not alone. Atleast the structure wasn't damaged.... :-)
    LeJane

Answer by LeJane at 7:37 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• Thanks everyone. I truly appreciate your kind words. I still feel like I fail at life, but I'm not as down. I need to start looking for a nice table cloth.
    SMH2010

Comment by SMH2010 (original poster) at 7:48 PM on Sep. 7, 2010