How do you potty train a 21 mo old boy?

My 21 month old son is showing all the signs he is ready to potty train but neither me or his father have a clue how to go about it! Any advice would be so great! Thank you !!!

Antonismommy

Asked by Antonismommy at 7:25 PM on Sep. 7, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Love and patience. He probably is not ready yet. Just don't be hard on him. It will discourage him. Praise. Let him watch an older boy or man and learn. A chart. Big boy Pullups.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 7:27 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• You can start with him sitting down. I think I let my son stand to pee too early. He is 4, will pee in the potty, but still poops in his pants, UGH!!!! Anyway, you can have him pee on a tree. Outside is a good way. They also have peepee targets for the toilet, or you can use cheerios or TP.
    JGRIMMER

Answer by JGRIMMER at 7:29 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• Use cheerios as targets to make it a game when he pees in the potty
    soccerfanatic14

Answer by soccerfanatic14 at 8:50 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• I may not be specific enough I need specifics! Like when he grabs at his diaper I know he is going potty but am I supposed to rip the diaper off and sit him down. I need step by step help! and I know my son too too busy I don't need answers like" he isn't ready and don't be hard on him". I am not being hard on him we haven't even started yet we just are clueless neither of us had younger siblings growing up or have other children we are brand new to this. Thank you!:)
    Antonismommy

Comment by Antonismommy (original poster) at 10:04 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• check into ECing or Elimination Communication, they talk about all kinds of cues and what to do!!
    my daughter is 23months now and is almost potty trained, EC tips have helped us alot, even with overnight tips =)
    Anna S.

Answer by Anna S. at 10:50 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• With my son I would put him on the potty as soon as he got up in the mornings and right before I put him down for bed. That got him started.
    Martha C.

Answer by Martha C. at 6:16 AM on Sep. 8, 2010