How and when did you introduce your LO to self feeding with a spoon?

lins4ever

Asked by lins4ever at 8:14 AM on Oct. 14, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I started as soon as she was able to hold it. Of course, it took a long time before she actually got it but they have to have practice. I worked with her a little bit but she pretty much got it on her own. Now at 17 months she's doing it all by herself.
    kinzleysmommy

Answer by kinzleysmommy at 8:29 AM on Oct. 14, 2008

• givem the plastic baby spoons cause they will want to chew on it... i would give my son a spoon while i fed him with another one he has been feeding himself since a lil b4 a year... lil messes here and there yet but nothing too bad...
    navywifemomkoch

Answer by navywifemomkoch at 9:10 AM on Oct. 14, 2008

• Once they started grabbing the spoon. I ofcourse would help guide their hand to their mouths.
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 11:54 AM on Oct. 14, 2008

• I am pretty laid back about this. My DD amazed me and I could not believe my eyes when she at 7 months was spoon feeding herself with out much of a mess. My son is 15 months and I give him the spoon at least once a day but he so does not get it. I think it is just a skill that you expose them to. I don't worry about it as I know he will get it soon enough. I do feed him dinner with the rest of us at the dining room table nightly though so I guess I just subscribe to the idea that he sees us do it and he too will do it.
    viento

Answer by viento at 12:56 PM on Oct. 14, 2008

• Let them explore when they show an interest. Keep second spoon handy. With my children, I worked backwards. I would let them hold the spoon and bring it to their mouth with the food already in it, then fill the 2nd spoon and replace the empty spoon with the one with food in it. That way they were ready to give up the empty one because they were getting another (no fighting). Once they got the hang of putting the full spoon in their mouth, I let them explore scooping. Of course they are going to try to scoop even before they are coordinated enough, let them, but have that other spoon handy already filled so they don't get frustrated.
    juicepluskids

Answer by juicepluskids at 7:19 PM on Oct. 14, 2008

• I noticed that my daughter wanted to feed herself (at around 14 months) and I just put her in her high chair with a bowl of food and a baby spoon and even though most of the food was eaten by hand, she tries (and succeeds now and then) to feed herself with the spoon. She loves trying to be like mom and sis and daddy!
    getupsteph

Answer by getupsteph at 2:03 PM on Oct. 17, 2008