How do you get a kid in time out when they are bigger than you?

My 12-year-old is taller than me and outweighs me. I need to know how to get him into a time out or some good alternative punishments to time outs.

chije

Asked by chije at 7:47 PM on Sep. 7, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• I learned while doing foster care, Never ask a child to do something you can not enforce.

If you cannot enforce timeout, or any other punishment, don't give them another opportunity to disobey. Think carefully every restriction and how you can enforce it for their benefit. Good luck
    thelowlander

Answer by thelowlander at 8:35 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• by 12 they need more strict punishment than time out imo. i agree with grounding him and taking away whatever privelages he might have. i outweighed my mom and was almost a foot taller than her by the 7th grade lol. it's not about who's bigger. it's about respect and listening to your mother
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 7:54 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• Remove privileges or possessions.
    Ideally, he would just go to time out because he does as you say. But if that were the case, would he need time out.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 7:50 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• take things away until they can do as they are asked. Ground them...like they can't go outside or go to a friends house.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 7:50 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• Well sending him in time out he is to old for that i think. If he is mis-behavioring then send his ass to his room and he can think about what he is setting in there for then when he is ready to behave then he can come out and speak to you about his behavior.

raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 7:52 PM on Sep. 7, 2010