Back yard breeder...... can they be stopped? It's torture

When it's a family member, how do you make it stop? These poor dogs start having babies by their first or second heat. They're still babies themselves. She breeds them until they look malnutritioned and gray early. Her lab she bred the snaught out of only live half the usual life span due to this. Her multiple chihuahuas are on the same course. What can a person do? This is sick to watch go on for years. But is it worth family turmoil?

thelowlander

Asked by thelowlander at 7:50 PM on Sep. 7, 2010 in Pets

• Family or not I would report them if the dogs are not being taken care of.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 8:51 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• well you could always call the spca and report them anonymously. it sounds like they would at least take away her animals at least
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 7:52 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• Of course it's worth family turmoil. That's terrible.
    sunshineemommy

Answer by sunshineemommy at 7:51 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• She does not need to know that you turned her in. Call the SPCA. Call PETA. Does she have a license. Is it against zoning? Is she reporting the income to the IRS?
    Be discreet in your reporting, but by all means take action. You can do it anonymously.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 7:53 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• I'd say something. But as far as animal control goes, unless they are emaciated, starving, near death, and in large amounts of feces in urine with out any food or water, it will be hard to do anything. It's not illegal to breed dogs, though I wish you would have to apply for a permit before you breed or something. idk
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 7:53 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• Call the SPCA in your area. They have rescue groups. Some cities even have police who deal only with animal cruelty calls
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 7:54 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• Then report her to the IRS, they would be really interested in knowing she is not reporting income. And contact every animal group you can find, someone should be able to help you.
    SophiaofLight

Answer by SophiaofLight at 7:59 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• That is so sad! Those poor dogs! :(
    I wish I had some advice for you, but I'll give you a bump.
    Courtney610

Answer by Courtney610 at 7:59 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• and keep reporting!!!

so sad for the poor dogs...
    chiana

Answer by chiana at 11:14 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• The local Humane Society lady knows about it. Even offered to fix all their animals free.
    thelowlander

Comment by thelowlander (original poster) at 7:54 PM on Sep. 7, 2010