Why do so many people see Tolerance as a bad thing?

You don't have to agree with someone to be tolerant of their beliefs, their lifestyle or their right to choose how they want to live. Yet, groups like the one this "Quran burning Pastor" are not only growing in popularity but gaining a great deal more support that groups that stand for tolerance or positivity...

What did I miss? When did it become a good thing to spread hate?

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 8:17 PM on Sep. 7, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I never want to be tolerant of others but live with them. My mom tolerates me so she can be near my kids but this does not mean she really likes me or has any true liking of my being alive. I view this as the same thing.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 8:25 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• ""Quran burning Pastor" are not only growing in popularity but gaining a great deal more support that groups that stand for tolerance or positivity..."

This is incredibly disturbing.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 8:36 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• World News sent someone to interview this pastor and he said he is still praying but that unless God himself tells him not to he is going to go ahead with the burning... Even the Pope has asked him not to do this!

The good thing - his congregation only has like 30 members in it... At least that's some consolation!

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 8:46 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• Only 30 members in his congregation? Wow, they are sounding more like WBC all the time! Maybe they will go on a burning tour!

There is definitely a shortage of tolerance - I will agree with you on that. I also think that different people have different ideas about what it means to be tolerant. In my view, if we all coexist and are respectful of one another, we are being tolerant. Somebody else might say that because they were not able to change my mind about something and get me to believe the way they do, I am intolerant.

In real life, most of my friends that I talk with often are not Christian. Some are pagan, one is Christian Science, and at least one is an atheist. We have no problem getting along and being respectful. For some reason, it is harder to "talk" to each other online without ascribing negative connotations to what the other person is saying. We can't hear the inflections and see the smiles.
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 9:46 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• To me Iamg8teful - you defined tolerance! "coexist and are respectful of one another"

I don't expect everyone to agree, I don't expect everyone to live the same or walk the same path. However, being willing to say - THIS isn't my way, but it's okay that it's yours - goes along way...

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 9:52 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• When you figure it out let me know
    KARRIEMARIE

Answer by KARRIEMARIE at 10:11 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• I think there has always been hate. People are just starting to show it more.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 10:23 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• Sabrina, I just read an article and it says that on FB today they opened a fan page for this pastor and 8000 people have already joined. How sick is that?? I don't see how people can exist as a society without tolerance. Tolerance does not mean you have to agree, just that they have the right to say it without being bashed by a bunch of people.
    SophiaofLight

Answer by SophiaofLight at 10:26 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• I don't know that they show it MORE, I guess I just think by now people should know better...

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 10:26 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• I think it flew out the window at the same time respect did.

Its a sad thing that people cant respect and tolerate differences. In the end, they become those things that they mock, fear, or just flat out hate.

Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 10:35 PM on Sep. 7, 2010