Friend in the hospital with NB at home

A good friend of mine gave birth a week ago, and has a uterine infection that has her back in the hospital. She opted to let the baby stay home, so that the baby doesn't get sick from something at the hospital, and she can't nurse since she's on all kinds of antibiotics (she's pumping to keep her supply up). Her spirits are way down, and I want to offer her as much support as possible. So far, our group of friends has had dinners planned (we were taking them over every night until she went into the hospital). Also, she has a 21 month old at home, and her MIL is helping with him. I'm a lactation specialist, so I'm helping her in any way I can with the BFing, and have told her that even though right now, she's not able to pump as much as the baby would need, her breasts will catch up a few days after she gets home.
I just can't imagine what this is doing to her psyche. I want to help her and her family! Any suggestions?

musicpisces

Asked by musicpisces at 8:18 PM on Sep. 7, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I have been in her shoes with my last when my hubby is was out to sea. It was miserable. And lonely. I would just make sure that people are visiting her and knowing that you guys are there for her. There is not much that you can do but listen for when she might need help.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 8:20 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• aw that sucks!!! maybe make a special photo book, or a video montage of baby?
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 8:24 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• Hopefully she wont be in long. I just can't imagine being w/out your newborn. I had to have an X-Ray of my tailbone about a week after I delivered. I left the baby w/ my mom while I went for the X-Ray, and my arms felt so empty & I felt so lost just being away for that short time. Will she allow short visits w/ the baby? If not, take something w/ the baby's scent & some pictures. It's the next best thing under these circumstances.
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 8:31 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• maybe make a meal and take it to the hospital. how about a breastfeeding baskwet, or some books on breastfeeding.
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 9:43 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• Video tape the kids either on your ph or w/ a camera (hopefully somebody has one). Take it to her at the hospital. The sight and sounds of the kids will help that supply and make her feel better.
    KARRIEMARIE

Answer by KARRIEMARIE at 10:09 PM on Sep. 7, 2010