why isn't she satisfied?

I've been nursing my 2 month old baby for the last 3 hours straight, no kidding. She will nurse to sleep and as soon as she lets go or I pull her off the breast, she cries. Nothing calms her but more nursing. Then the cycle starts over. Nurse, sleep, let go, cry, nurse sleep, let go, cry. I know milk is coming out because it does when I squeeze my nipple, but why isn't she getting full? This happened a few weeks ago and after 5 hours, I gave her a 4oz bottle. She went to sleep for the rest of the night. Is the bottle my only answer when this happens?

keisha613

Asked by keisha613 at 8:30 PM on Sep. 7, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 8:33 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• No bottle, that will only tell your breasts to make less. She is having a growth spurt or cluster feeding. Just continue to nurse on demand and it will soon pass. I promise.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 8:32 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• Growth spurt is the most likely issue. It will take your breasts a day or two to catch up. You might try pumping during normal times to keep up with her when she's going through these times so you can avoid formula.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 8:34 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• Both my kids were cluster feeders so i understand how you feel! Could also be a growth spurt, did your baby recently start doing this?
    Cynthje

Answer by Cynthje at 9:05 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• yeah she did it once a few weeks ago.

thanks for the info ladies, it was really helpful. i did cave in and gave the bottle but i know better not to next time.
    keisha613

Comment by keisha613 (original poster) at 9:20 PM on Sep. 7, 2010